Code Consolidation And Redundancy Involving Templates And Vectors
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Code Consolidation And Redundancy Involving Templates And Vectors

Code Consolidation And Redundancy Involving Templates And Vectors

Greetings all... Below I have a sample program with the headers and cpp files listed. As you can see in the main routine, there are 5 function calls that are all very similar. They call 5 corresponding routines in the Classrooms class. Can I solicit solutions to making this one call, with variables or templates to reduce the calls, or at least have a single call with typing? The only thing I can't change is the access of the vectors in the Classrooms.h.

I've tried this with templates and to be honest **** near threw my keyboard through the monitor with frustration. Anybody can help?

Names.h

Code:
        class Names {
            public:

enum class Enums : int { Jack, Jill, John, Judy, Jzee };
        };
    Names.cpp
    Code:
        #include "Names.h"
    Students.h

Code:
        #include <algorithm>
        #include <condition_variable>
        #include "Names.h"

template <Names::Enums name_a> class Students {
            public:
                Students();
                void PrintEnum();
        };

template <Names::Enums name_a> Students<name_a>::Students() {
        }

template <Names::Enums name_a> void Students<name_a>::PrintEnum() {
            printf("%s: Enum value for name = %d\n", __func__, (int) name_a);
        }
    Students.cpp
    Code:
        #include "Students.h"
    Classrooms.h

Code:
        #include <algorithm>
        #include "Names.h"
        #include "Students.h"

class Classrooms {
            private:
                std::vector<std::unique_ptr<Students<Names::Enums::Jack>>> Jacks;

std::vector<std::unique_ptr<Students<Names::Enums::Jill>>> Jills;

std::vector<std::unique_ptr<Students<Names::Enums::John>>> Johns;

std::vector<std::unique_ptr<Students<Names::Enums::Judy>>> Judys;

std::vector<std::unique_ptr<Students<Names::Enums::Jzee>>> Jzees;

public:

Classrooms() { }

Students<Names::Enums::Jack>* Get_a_Jack(int e) { return Jacks.at(e).get(); }

Students<Names::Enums::Jill>* Get_a_Jill(int e) { return Jills.at(e).get(); }

Students<Names::Enums::John>* Get_a_John(int e) { return Johns.at(e).get(); }

Students<Names::Enums::Judy>* Get_a_Judy(int e) { return Judys.at(e).get(); }

Students<Names::Enums::Jzee>* Get_a_Jzee(int e) { return Jzees.at(e).get(); }

};
    Classrooms.cpp
    Code:
        #include "Classrooms.h"
    main.cpp

Code:
        #include <algorithm>
        #include "Names.h"
        #include "Classrooms.h"

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char** argv) {

Classrooms *cr = new Classrooms();

cr->Get_a_Jack(0)->PrintEnum();

cr->Get_a_Jill(0)->PrintEnum();

cr->Get_a_John(0)->PrintEnum();

cr->Get_a_Judy(0)->PrintEnum();

cr->Get_a_Jzee(0)->PrintEnum();

return 0;
        }

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Code Consolidation And Redundancy Involving Templates And Vectors

Classrooms seems a very strange class where you have a private member variable for each of the values of Enums - and a getter function for each as well. What is trying to be achieved? Is this a homework assignment?

Note that as the default constructor for Classrooms doesn't initialise the class variables, the Get_a_???(0) function calls try to access a non-existent vector element!
    Last edited by 2kaud; March 13th, 2017 at 08:13 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.3.4)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Classrooms seems a very strange class where you have a private member variable for each of the values of Enums - and a getter function for each as well. What is trying to be achieved? Is this a homework assignment?

Note that as the default constructor for Classrooms doesn't initialise the class variables, the Get_a_???(0) function calls try to access a non-existent vector element!
    This is ONLY a sample bit of code. It is in no way representative of the actual code, which is way to complicated and sensitive in nature to be put in a post. Not to mention I never seem to get answers, just critiques over the sample. Students, name and classrooms is not the questions. I'm simply trying to find a cleaner way of condensing the 5 separate calls from main and the corresponding calls in Classrooms so that there aren't so many individual calls. Maybe one with a switch. But I can't seem to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    I'm simply trying to find a cleaner way of condensing the 5 separate calls from main and the corresponding calls in Classrooms so that there aren't so many individual calls.
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking but one way to use polymorphism in template code is by way of specialization. Here's a small example,

Code:
    enum class Name {Jack, Jill};

template <Name N> class Student {}; // class to be specialized

template <> class Student<Name::Jack> { // specialized for Jack
    public:
    	void print() {std::cout << "Jack" << std::endl;}
    };

template <> class Student<Name::Jill> { // specialized for Jill
    public:
    	void print() {std::cout << "Jill" << std::endl;}
    };

class Classroom {
    public:
    	template <Name N>
    	auto get() {     // one common access method
    		return std::make_unique<Student<N>>();
    	}
    };

void test() {
    	Classroom cr;
    	cr.get<Name::Jack>()->print(); // selection by template parameter
    	cr.get<Name::Jill>()->print();
    }
    Last edited by wolle; March 14th, 2017 at 02:25 AM.

I'm simply trying to find a cleaner way of condensing the 5 separate calls from main and the corresponding calls in Classrooms so that there aren't so many individual calls.
    do you mean something like ?

Code:
    template < Names::Enums Name >
    Students<Name>* Get(int e)
    {
            return std::get< std::vector<std::unique_ptr<Students<Name>>>& >( std::tie( Jacks, Jills, Johns, Judys, Jzees ) ).at(e).get();
    }
    not tested, requires c++14 <tuple>
    obviously, a c++11/03 solution is possible, but more convoluted. If you tell us what you're trying to do at a higher level we could be of more help ...
    Last edited by superbonzo; March 14th, 2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: fixed missing '&'

Quote Originally Posted by superbonzo View Post
    do you mean something like ?

Code:
    template < Names::Enums Name >
    Students<Name>* Get(int e)
    {
            return std::get< std::vector<std::unique_ptr<Students<Name>>> >( std::tie( Jacks, Jills, Johns, Judys, Jzees ) ).at(e).get();
    }
    not tested, requires c++14 <tuple>
    obviously, a c++11/03 solution is possible, but more convoluted. If you tell us what you're trying to do at a higher level we could be of more help ...
    Wow,this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! I can't say I understand it, but holy cow! And as if I can't be grateful, I'm going to ask one more question... is there a way to limit the range of the elements in the std::tie, let's say so that only Jills thru Judys are part of the equation? Without having to create another enumerated list? I'm going to have to study up on the std::tie. Never heard of it, but an awesome capability/feature!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to have to study up on the std::tie. Never heard of it, but an awesome capability/feature!!!!!!!!!!!
    anyway, note that the type based std::get is avaliable from c++14 on only. BTW, I just noticed there's a typo in my post above, I missed an '&' in the std::get argument. it's fixed now.

I'm going to ask one more question... is there a way to limit the range of the elements in the std::tie, let's say so that only Jills thru Judys are part of the equation? Without having to create another enumerated list?
    uhm, not with std::tie, you'll need to write some template metaprogramming to do that... or use some existing metaprogramming library, like boost mpl/fusion/hana ...

Quote Originally Posted by superbonzo View Post
    uhm, not with std::tie, you'll need to write some template metaprogramming to do that... or use some existing metaprogramming library, like boost mpl/fusion/hana ...

Hey, Superbonzo... do you have a PayPal account? I'd like to send you $25 bucks for a fantastic, elegant answer. I implemented what you suggested with the appropriate changes to match the actual code) and it is running as expected. Not to mention I cleaned up over 1300 lines of code. My many thanks!!