CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Program involving connecting with a webpage and saving a picture

So im trying to make a program that will automatically save someone else's Instagram photo right after its published.
    How would i go about connecting a program to Instagram, and actually saving a picture as soon as its uploaded?
    Im still kinda noob but if someone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Program involving connecting with a webpage and saving a picture

Doesn't instagram have the photo saved? Why do you need to save it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Doesn't instagram have the photo saved? Why do you need to save it again?
    Not that i know of? You can use other websites to save instagram photos, cause instagram doesnt let you save other peoples photos.
    So i wanted to make a program that saves a picture automaticly after its published from a certain user or certain hashtag or whatever.

In answering your question, I decided to take a look at the instagram api documentation.

https://www.instagram.com/developer/

It seems there is a policy with regard to developing instagram applications:

"PLATFORM POLICY

Before you start using the API Platform, we have a few guidelines that we'd like to tell you about. Please make sure to read the full Platform Policy. Here's what you'll read about:

1. Instagram users own their media. It's your responsibility to make sure that you respect that right.
    2. You cannot use "insta", "gram" or "Instagram" in your company or product name.
    3. You cannot replicate the core user experience of the Instagram apps or web site. For example, do not build a media viewer.
    4. You cannot use the API Platform to crawl or store users' media without their express consent.
    5. Do not abuse the API Platform, automate requests, or encourage unauthentic behavior. This will get your access turned off."

Doesn't saving media as you are requesting violate policy #4 (regardless of whether you are using the api)?

In answering your question, I decided to take a look at the instagram api documentation.

https://www.instagram.com/developer/

It seems there is a policy with regard to developing instagram applications:

"PLATFORM POLICY

Before you start using the API Platform, we have a few guidelines that we'd like to tell you about. Please make sure to read the full Platform Policy. Here's what you'll read about:

1. Instagram users own their media. It's your responsibility to make sure that you respect that right.
    2. You cannot use "insta", "gram" or "Instagram" in your company or product name.
    3. You cannot replicate the core user experience of the Instagram apps or web site. For example, do not build a media viewer.
    4. You cannot use the API Platform to crawl or store users' media without their express consent.
    5. Do not abuse the API Platform, automate requests, or encourage unauthentic behavior. This will get your access turned off."

Doesn't saving media as you are requesting violate policy #4 (regardless of whether you are using the api)?
    I guess it does yeah. Thanks for that info.

But how would such a program differ from programs/websites that let you manually save photos? Why is it different with an automated program?

One google search for "download instagram photo" and theres tons of websites that lets you put in a URL and download the photo.
    So are those sites violating #4 too?

Quote Originally Posted by jokerc1 View Post
    I guess it does yeah. Thanks for that info.

But how would such a program differ from programs/websites that let you manually save photos? Why is it different with an automated program?

One google search for "download instagram photo" and theres tons of websites that lets you put in a URL and download the photo.
    So are those sites violating #4 too?
    Doesn't #1 answer that question?

Doesn't #1 answer that question?
    When saving pictures from a website you still dont have the users consent, so both #1 and #4 is violated?

Good to know..