CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Lightbulb WNetAddConnection2 - Crzy

Hi guys

I've been problem with WNetAddConnection2 if i don't inform nr.lpProvider= NULL; Windows API return invalid password. Why???

Look below my code

Original code:

Code:
    nr.dwScope=RESOURCE_GLOBALNET;
    nr.dwUsage=RESOURCEUSAGE_CONNECTABLE;
    nr.dwType=RESOURCETYPE_ANY;
    nr.lpLocalName=NULL;
    nr.lpRemoteName="\\\\MyComp10";
    nr.lpProvider=NULL;
    net=WNetAddConnection2(&nr,"password","Administrator",CONNECT_UPDATE_PROFILE);
    In this case, with nr.lpProvider=NULL WNetAddConnection2 return invalid password.

New code:

Code:
    nr.dwScope=RESOURCE_GLOBALNET;
    nr.dwUsage=RESOURCEUSAGE_CONNECTABLE;
    nr.dwType=RESOURCETYPE_ANY;
    nr.lpLocalName=NULL;
    nr.lpRemoteName="\\\\MyComp10";
    nr.lpProvider="Developer";
    net=WNetAddConnection2(&nr,"password","Administrator",CONNECT_UPDATE_PROFILE);
    In this case, when informed lpProvider, it is ok, no error. Why??

The more curious is that the problem occurs in only a few workstations. What is going on?

Thank's
    Last edited by 2kaud; March 28th, 2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Added code tags

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: WNetAddConnection2 - Crzy

The more curious is that the problem occurs in only a few workstations.
    What is WNetGetProviderName() https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx returning for lpProviderName?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

When i used WNetGetProviderName(), return the same name of lpProvider.

I made one test in Windows console (command prompt) and the problem occur as well. Look below:

net use p: \\MyComp10\xml /usereveloper\Administrator <ENTER>
    Enter password: password

It's ok.

net use p: \\MyComp10\xml /user:Administrator <ENTER>
    Enter password: password
    Error invalid password

The problem occur in command line as well. Windows BUG???

Thank's

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ejunior View Post
    The problem occur in command line as well. Windows BUG???
    If you are so sure - try to file it in https://connect.microsoft.com/
    Victor Nijegorodov

For developer\Administrator, is developer an OU within AD?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

"Developer" is my Domain Controller

"Administrator" is my Domain Administrator user

and under what credentials are you trying to use net use? Is \\mycomp10 computer part of the same domain?

Yes \\Mycomp10 is part of the same domain.

Domain - Windows 2012
    Mycomp10 - Windows 7

net use p: \\MyComp10\xml /user : Developer\Administrator

This uses account administrator on DC Developer to authenticate to \\MyComp10 (the domain administrator account). As \\MyComp10 is part of the domain with correct group membership etc then this is fine.

net use p: \\MyComp10\xml /user:Administrator

This uses account Administrator on \\MyComp10 to authenticate (the local adminstrator). If the password for the local Administrator account is different to that of the domain administrator account then the authentication will fail with invalid password. This only occurs on those few workstations where the password for the local administrator account is different to that of the domain administrator account. Note that it is good practice for the local and domain administrator accounts to have different passwords.

2kuad,

I agree with you about best practice for domain administrator accounts and local admins in workstation, but in this post "Administrator" is only example name. I have a specific user to execute this operation. The name is SVC.Net-map and have power to maping network e copy files.

This user exists only in my DC (AD). This is so strange, because I have 10 machines in the domain and three of them do the mapping (net use p: \\MyComp10\xml /user:SVC.Net-map) without complaining of invalid password, but the other seven do not. So crazy....

Thank's

I would be looking closely at how the computers are actually members of the AD domain. Is all the DNS, domain membership, group membership etc correct - and what is different between those that work and those that don't.