CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Web Program question from a noob O.o

OK so i don't know if this is posting in the best place to reach my answer but i have a simple question. I am creating a website and a part of that site i want to implement a program that essentially is a multiple choice, Q & A, ending in the designated answer. I did programming in middle school for a semester, that program was Pascal (a 100 floppy disc program XD). I remember something to the effect of, if a then it will cause this response, etc. So I'm really hoping that my biggest problem will be all the data entry...

I hope that makes sense....lol.

any guidance or direction is greatly appreciated.

thanks

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Web Program question from a noob O.o

[Thread move to General Developer]
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

thanks for correcting that

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

What programming environment are you using? What programming language?

Ah man im at the very very starting range. i might have to hire out. what would you rec using?

There are SO many different types of coding but is there a name for what im doing?

There are many languages to choose from. What type of computer do you have? Is it a PC, a Mac, Linux based?

I'm running Windows 10 insider

Quote Originally Posted by litletre View Post
    I'm running Windows 10 insider
    Since you are on Windows you might be interested in developing a website using C#.

You'll need a compiler and debugger. Microsoft has an excellent one in Visual Studio 2017 Community edition. It's a free download:
    https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

Next, you'll need an online tutorial on creating a web site:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/

Thank you so much! Really appreciate the help. I'll post on my updated

Oh I have a great example... So for like WebMD where you click your symptoms etc.. That's what I need to make. What is that type of coding called? Is list? Ant, Apache, etc etc... You know

Quote Originally Posted by litletre View Post
    Oh I have a great example... So for like WebMD where you click your symptoms etc.. That's what I need to make. What is that type of coding called? Is list? Ant, Apache, etc etc... You know
    I don't know whay WebMD is, but understand that you can program a website in many different languages and host it using many different environments.

Trying to do exactly what a site has done is less important than learning how to program, create websites and so on in the language you've chosen.

I've offered a compiler and tutorial in C#, but that certainly isn't the only option.

Whatever language you choose, you'll need to start with an online tutorial or take a class. There is a lot to learn. Good luck.

Thank u very much. I know to a lot of you my boob questions are not worth the time. So I really thank you for actually answering and helping me on my path.

I def want to learn language. And my references to WebMD was strickly for reference as the overall ideas are similar.

I will be reading your tutorial and I will follow up with my progress.

Cheers,
    Trever