CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Issue with stream extraction

So if I want to validate a single character input I was trying something like that

Code:
    char ch;

do {

cout << "\nPlease enter a single character :\n " << endl;
    	   getline ( cin ,ch );

}while ( ch.length != 1 && cout <<" Wrong input ! " );

I want the user to enter a single character only if not it will tell him to reenter you see ?
    Last edited by david16; June 30th, 2017 at 08:00 AM.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: join to piece of a program

Code:
    }while ( ch.length() != 1 && cout <<" Wrong input ! " );
    Once the syntax is correct, this will accept a single char terminated by a <newline>.

.length() is a member function of class string - not a member variable!
    Last edited by 2kaud; June 30th, 2017 at 08:07 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

it worked but first time before even input it shows wrong input why ?

this is from cmd

Please enter a single character of your choice :

// didnt input yet !

Sorry Wrong input !

Please enter a single character of your choice :

Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    	string ch;

do {

getline(cin, ch);

} while (ch.length() != 1 && cout << " Wrong input ! ");
    }
    Works for me OK.
    Code:
    c:\MyProgs>test12

Please enter a single character :

qq
     Wrong input !
    Please enter a single character :

q

c:\MyProgs>
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

I have another do while statement before this validation when I remove it everything is fine . But when I add it I get wrong input first then the message "please enter a single character "..... they are 2 separate do while why they are affect each other ?

Code:
    int x;

do {

cout << "\nPlease enter number ( > 2 ) :\n " << endl;
    	   cin >> x;

}while ( x < 2 && cout << "\nSorry wrong input!\n " );

string ch;

do {

getline(cin, ch);

} while (ch.length() != 1 && cout << " Wrong input ! ");
    try both together it will not work prorperly
    Last edited by david16; June 30th, 2017 at 09:20 AM.

You are mixing stream extraction (>>) with getline(). >> doesn't remove the ending <newline> because >> ignores all white-space found before input. getline() obtains the data from the stream and removes the training <newline>. So if you have >> followed by getline(), the getline() gets the <newline> left over from the >> and sets the value to "" (empty) which has a length of 0. Hence the issue you are finding.

What you need to do is after the first do loop, remove the remaining <newline>. Try
    Code:
    cin.ignore(1000, '\n');
    between the two do loops.

Oh I see now what's the problem . thx got it work fine now

Re: Issue with stream extraction

Last edited by 2kaud; June 30th, 2017 at 01:14 PM.