CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Code repetition

Code repetition

hello there . I had a little problem with my code which I could solve I suppose to read something from user then tell him if palindrome or not the problem is that any word I enter is palidrome and when I repeat it I also got something wrong Do I have to use array instead?

Code:
      #include < iostream >
    #include <string>
    #include <algorithm>
    using namespace std;

bool is_palindrome( string &s)
    {
      return  equal ( s.begin(), s.end(), s.rbegin() );
    }

int main ()
    {
    	string input; char choice; int lc = 1;

do {	

cout << "\nExecution number " << lc << ":" <<endl;
    	  cout << "-------------------" << endl;

cout << "\nPlease enter a word or a phase :\n" << endl;

getline ( cin , input );

is_palindrome ( input );

if ( is_palindrome )

cout << "\n\"" << input << "\"" << " is palidrome.\n" << endl;

else
    		cout << "\n\"" << input << "\"" << " is not palidrome.\n" << endl;

do {

cout << "\nDo you want to do another computation ? Y/N \n" << endl;
    	   cin >> choice;

}while (  choice != 'Y' && choice != 'y' && choice != 'n' && choice != 'N' && cout << "\nSorry wrong input!\n" );

++lc;

}while ( choice == 'y' || choice == 'Y' );

cout << "\n";
        system ( "pause" );
    	return 0;
    }

I tried cin.ignore ( 1000 , '\n' ) before the function call didnt work ;

this is the output I had

Execution number 1:
    -------------------

Please enter a word or a phase :

elsa

"elsa" is palidrome.

Do you want to do another computation ? Y/N

y

Execution number 2:
    -------------------

Please enter a word or a phase :

"" is palidrome.

Do you want to do another computation ? Y/N

thx for your help
    Last edited by david16; July 7th, 2017 at 08:29 AM.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Code repetition

Firstly,
    Code:
    	is_palindrome ( input );

if ( is_palindrome )
    Don't you mean
    Code:
    	 if ( is_palindrome(input) )
    Didn't the compiler report a problem?

I tried cin.ignore ( 1000 , '\n' ) before the function call didnt work
    The solution is to use cin.ignore(), but not at the place where you tried it. Before I show the solution, have a good think about what is happening with the input stream.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I guess the input stream are linked together that why We use cin.ignore () but you said I used it in wrong place ??
    Last edited by david16; July 7th, 2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by david16 View Post
    I guess the input stream are linked together that why We use cin.ignore () but you said I used it in wrong place ??
    Yes.

Also
    Code:
    bool is_palindrome( string &s)
    would be better defined as
    Code:
    bool is_palindrome(const string &s)
    as the contents of string s isn't/shouldn't change.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Oh yes you were right . The position of the cin.ignore () should be at the end of the do while loop that repeat the program . So before the while I plug it there right ??

Sorry can you explain why bool is_palindrome(const string &s) with const ?? did know why its better ?

Oh yes you were right . The position of the cin.ignore () should be at the end of the do while loop that repeat the program . So before the while I plug it there right ??
    If you put it there, it may seem to work - but try entering aaa as the input to the 'another computation' prompt.

yes but even with bool is_palindrome(const string &s) I'm getting that issue you said . about

Sorry can you explain why bool is_palindrome(const string &s) with const ?? did know why its better ?
    Code:
    bool is_palindrome(const string &s)
    You are passing s by reference, so any changes to s in the function are passed back to the corresponding argument variable in the calling function. If the function is not supposed/required to change s, then passing by const reference will cause a compiler error if s is changed by mistake in the function. Any error detected by the compiler is much better than trying to debug a problem! In general, if the contents of any variable isn't supposed to change, then it should be defined as const.

Oh I see what you mean with cin.ignore () . Where you thing I should put it ?

yes but even with bool is_palindrome(const string &s) I'm getting that issue you said . about
    For your code, having const/not const there will make no run-time difference. It's just good practice you should get into the habit of using where appropriate.

Hint. Try moving the cin.ignore() into the other loop.

Yes got it . I should put that after the cin >> choice in the first do while loop where I ask if user want to repeat and I receive his choice

Yes got it . I should put that after the cin >> choice in the first do while loop where I ask if user want to repeat and I receive his choice
    yep!

PS Take a bonus point for using equal() to test for a palindrome.

thx a lot