CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Post What Tech Book are you currently reading or is sitting on your desk?

This thread is a little bit of chit chat, but because the focus is on tech books, I'm going to drop it here, in the general discussion forum.

I'm writing a blog post on the current books on my desk (that I'm moving over to on my shelf). That post will go live tomorrow and will mention the two books that were close to my computer. I'm curious to hear what books other developers have sitting by their computers or on their desk.

I'll add that in addition to the two Wiley books I mention in the blog post here on Codeguru (I'll link when it is live), I also have a third book that sits on my desk. That book is more relevant to what I do with a lot of my time, which is manage web sites like Codeguru. The book is Advanced Web Metric with Google Analytics by Sybex. If you are doing web work (sites or apps), then analytics are likely a critical part of your maintenance process!

The books from my blog post are Reversing : Secreets of Reverse Engineering and Practical Reverse Engineering, both by Wiley!

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: What Tech Book are you currently reading or is sitting on your desk?

On the desk currently as I type this

The c++ Programming Language 4th Edition Bjarne Stroustrup

Windows Internals 6 (Vol 1 & 2) Mark Russinovich

Hackers Delight Henry Warren

Plus the groaning bookshelves!

What's on the desk depends upon what I'm currently doing.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I'm curious to hear what books other developers have sitting by their computers or on their desk
    So nobody else has any books by their desk/computer? What tidy people!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Maybe everyone else picks up things intuitively.....

I'm making room for new books by throwing two old ones in the wastepaper basket. It's the books Mr. Stepanov has co-authored. Here we have this celebrated C++ authority figure and prominent critic of the OO paradigm who when he finally got the chance to present his great alternative came up absolutely empty-handed. Very disappointing. If anyone can explain why I'm wrong please come forward.

I'm going to replace them with new editions (not yet published) of two favorites:

* C++ Concurrency in Action, 2 ed, by Williams.
    * C++ Templates: The Complete Guide, 2 ed, by Vandevoorde & Josuttis.

I also have a wish list of other new books I'm seriously considering, some published and some soon to be published. They all cover "modern" C++ (versions 11, 14 and 17). I'm especially interested in new simplification features and to improve my understanding of functional programming:

* Modern C++ Programming Cookbook by Bancila.
    * C++17 STL Cookbook by Galowicz.
    * Functional Programming in C++ by Cukic.
    * Learning C++ Functional Programming by Anggoro.
    Last edited by wolle; August 6th, 2017 at 03:40 AM.

I'm going to replace them with new editions (not yet published) of two favorites:

* C++ Concurrency in Action, 2 ed, by Williams.
    * C++ Templates: The Complete Guide, 2 ed, by Vandevoorde & Josuttis.
    Yep, they're on my list as well! However, there seems to be an issue with c++ Concurrency 2 ed as it is no longer listed on Amazon??

* Functional Programming in C++ by Cukic.
    * Learning C++ Functional Programming by Anggoro.
    I must admit I have done very little (well hardly anything, ok ok practically nothing) with functional programming, so I think I'll dip my toe in the water here with these and c what's it all about.

I'm also waiting for
    * Professional c++ 4 ed by Marc Gregoire (23 Feb 2018)
    * Clean c++ - Best practices with C++17 by Stephan Roth (22 Oct 2017)

It's the books Mr. Stepanov has co-authored
    Sorry, I haven't seen/read them so can't comment. Shame they're going in the wastepaper basket.....
    Last edited by 2kaud; August 6th, 2017 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    I'm also waiting for
    * Professional c++ 4 ed by Marc Gregoire (23 Feb 2018)
    We'll definitely have to point to Marc's book since he's spent a lot of time hanging around here!

Brad!

Yep, they're on my list as well! However, there seems to be an issue with c++ Concurrency 2 ed as it is no longer listed on Amazon??
    It's still listed at the publisher (Manning). There's some early access program going on and the author seems to have finished half the book only so maybe it's delayed,

https://www.manning.com/books/c-plus...second-edition

The first chapter is available for free. It seems identical to the first edition which is somewhat alarming. Hopefully there will be a substantial amount of new material in the rest of the new edition. I certainly will make sure before I buy.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    We'll definitely have to point to Marc's book since he's spent a lot of time hanging around here!

Brad!
    Isn't the Bancila book by our very own Cilu?

I must admit I have done very little (well hardly anything, ok ok practically nothing) with functional programming, so I think I'll dip my toe in the water here with these and c what's it all about.
    I'm into OO but although the code becomes easy to modify it's only easily modifiable in the way it was designed to be. In that sense OO still produces monoliths. I suspect/hope FP may produce code that makes radical unplanned changes easy. It would be great if OO and FP can be combined to produce truly flexible code.

I really welcome there finally are FP books arriving that are targeting C++ specifically. The FP books I've seen so far have tended to treat FP as an all-or-nothing proposition and I don't want that.
    Last edited by wolle; August 7th, 2017 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Isn't the Bancila book by our very own Cilu?
    Yes, I think you're right.

I have Windows Internals 6 (Vol 1) by Mark Russinovich