Creating a VERTICAL Histogram or Bar Graph
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Creating a VERTICAL Histogram or Bar Graph

Unhappy Creating a VERTICAL Histogram or Bar Graph

I am writing a C++ program that inputs a file of 3000 resistor files and writes them to a vector. I have already done the vast majority of the program, and now I am just trying to display a VERTICAL HISTOGRAM or Bar Graph. There are 3 different types of resistors, R100, R1000, R10000. I am working the R100 graph right now. The actual values aren't exactly equal to their type, but most are close. The Bar Graph is to display the counts of a range of values from 90 - 110. I have written a function already that has counted each bin of the graph. There are 11 bins, or range values: 90, 92, 94, 96, 98, 100, 102, 104, 106, 108 and 110. I want the VERTICAL HISTOGRAM or Bar Graph to display each bin value, 90 - 110 etc, at the bottom of the graph and then display the counts of each bin using a * symbol. I was planning for each * symbol to represent a count of 100, but if there are less than 100, I still want to place at least one * so I don't have any empty bins on the graph. For example, the count of the first bin is 25, there should be one * there. I want the graph to have 10 rows, so there would be a cap, any bin with a count of 1000 or higher would have 10 vertical stars, or *. I have written the counts to an array of 11 elements, each element represents a count corresponding to its bin. I named the array "counts" and gave it an integer datatype. So the array data with explanations for the graph and each of its bins are as follows:

** These are the Actual Counts that Were Returned By My Code: **
    Code:
    counts[0] = 25 // This column on the Bar Graph should have one * symbol, as it is less than 100, and represents resistors with a value of 90 or less

counts[1] = 1027 // This column on the Bar Graph should have 10 vertical * symbols, as a count of 1000 is the cap, and represents resistors with a value greater than 90 and <= 92

counts[2] = 917 // This column on the Bar Graph should have 10 vertical * symbols, as it is greater than 900, and represents resistors with a value greater than 92 and <= 94

counts[3] = 777 // This column on the Bar Graph should have 8 vertical * symbols, as it is greater than 700, and represents resistors with a value greater than 94 and <= 96

counts[4] = 641 // This column on the Bar Graph should have 7 vertical * symbols, as it is greater than 600, and represents resistors with a value greater than 96 and <= 98

counts[5] = 535 // This column on the Bar Graph should have 6 vertical * symbols, as it is greater than 500, and represents resistors with a value greater than 98 and <= 100

counts[6] = 436 // This column on the Bar Graph should have 5 vertical * symbols, as it is greater than 400, and represents resistors with a value greater than 100 and <= 102

counts[7] = 323 // This column on the Bar Graph should have 4 vertical * symbols, as it is greater than 300, and represents resistors with a value greater than 102 and <= 104

counts[8] = 204 // This column on the Bar Graph should have 3 vertical * symbols, as it is greater than 200, and represents resistors with a value greater than 104 and <= 106

counts[9] = 87 // This column on the Bar Graph should have one * symbol and , as it is less than 100, and represents resistors with a value greater than 106 and <= 108

counts[10] = 3 // This column on the Bar Graph should have one * symbol and , as it is less than 100, and represents resistors with a value greater than 108
    Again, I am looking to display a VERTICAL HISTOGRAM, or Bar Graph using the data from above. Please Help Me!!
    Last edited by 2kaud; July 29th, 2017 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Added code tags

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Creating a VERTICAL Histogram or Bar Graph

To obtain the required number of stars to display, you could use
    Code:
    int stars = min(counts[n] / 100 + 1, 10);
    Consider
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <algorithm>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    	const int maxval = 10;
    	const int counts[] = { 25, 1027, 917, 777, 641, 535, 436, 323, 204, 87, 3 };

for (int v = maxval; v; --v, cout << endl)
    		for (const auto& c : counts)
    			cout << ((min(c / 100 + 1, maxval) >= v) ? '*' : ' ');
    }
    Last edited by 2kaud; July 29th, 2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added code
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.4.0)

Red face This Is More Like What I Was Thinking; Can't Get The Numbers Right

Code:
            int most = counts[0];
    	int check;
    	int rows;
    	int columns;

for (check = 0; check <= 10; check++)
    	{
    		if (counts[check] > 100)
    			most = 10;
    	}

for (rows = most; rows >= 0; rows--)
    	{
    		for (columns = 0; columns <= 10; columns++)
    		{
    			if (counts[columns] >= rows)
    				cout << setw(4) << "* ";
    			else
    				cout << setw(4) << "  ";
    		}

cout << endl;
    	}

for (i = 0; i < 45; i++)
    	{
    		cout << setw(4);
    		putchar('-');
    	}

cout << endl;
    	cout << setw(4) << "90" << setw(4) << "92" << setw(4) << "94" <<
    			setw(4) << "96" << setw(4) << "98" << setw(4) << "100" <<
    			setw(4) << "102" << setw(4) << "104" << setw(4) << "106" <<
    			setw(4) << "108" << setw(4) << "110" << endl << endl;
    Last edited by 2kaud; July 29th, 2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Added code tags

Re: Creating a VERTICAL Histogram or Bar Graph

When posting code, please use code tags so that the code is readable. Go Advanced, select the formatted code and click '#'.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Re: This Is More Like What I Was Thinking; Can't Get The Numbers Right

if you want a horizontal axis and label then consider
    Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <algorithm>
    #include <iomanip>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    	const int wdth = 4;
    	const int maxval = 10;
    	const int stval = 90;

const int counts[] = { 25, 1027, 917, 777, 641, 535, 436, 323, 204, 87, 3 };
    	const int nocnt = sizeof(counts) / sizeof(counts[0]);

for (int v = maxval; v; --v, cout << endl)
    		for (const auto& c : counts)
    			cout << setw(wdth) << ((min(c / 100 + 1, maxval) >= v) ? '*' : ' ');

cout << setw(nocnt * wdth) << setfill('-') << '-' << setfill(' ') << endl;

for (int v = 0; v < nocnt; ++v)
    		cout << setw(wdth) << stval + v * 2;

cout << endl;
    }