CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Antivirus app

Antivirus app

Hi all of you. I intend to develop an light antivirus application, and I have some questions first:
    1. Is there somewhere an virus signature database, available for development ?
    1. How can I test an file if is virused or not, without virus signature database ?

I have checked Clamav library, which is free, but it is for Linux. and using this library for Windows are not a good option [the virus signature database are filled with Linux viruses, not for Windows].

I will appreciate any advice/hint regarding my issues !
    Thank you.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Antivirus app

I intend to develop an light antivirus application,
    Why?? What's the problem with the existing free/paid for ones for Windows??
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I client ask me that: an light Antivirus application ...
    Last edited by mesajflaviu; August 3rd, 2017 at 06:32 AM.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

So your client is ready to pay for your work on such a "light Antivirus" for years?
    Super!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Does 'light' mean, "Only catch the small viruses?"

No, I think he want to say that is aware that couldn't be so efficient as the one that is developed in years ...
    Last edited by mesajflaviu; August 4th, 2017 at 07:35 AM.

Still, how can be developed an AV that can scan files for viruses, let say in heuristic mode, if I didn't have an virus signature database ?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ses-signatures

This question relates to Python, but virus signatures are independent of language used. But how up-to-date they are...
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thank you, I will take a look over that post.

Quote Originally Posted by mesajflaviu View Post
    Still, how can be developed an AV that can scan files for viruses, let say in heuristic mode, if I didn't have an virus signature database ?
    The answer is kinda obvious: Create one on your own.

Why do you think the database, being something service oriented, to be developed apart from the service itself? Why would service providers to share it with you for free? What fun this to make for their business that they forget about ripping you for money?
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    The answer is kinda obvious: Create one on your own.

Why do you think the database, being something service oriented, to be developed apart from the service itself? Why would service providers to share it with you for free? What fun this to make for their business that they forget about ripping you for money?
    There is some info made available by some developers on this, I will try to find it. 2kaud shared a helpful link from stack overflow higher up on this thread. Overall, I would recommend OP chek out some of the more common antivirus programs and see if their developers have some publicly available info.