CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

C++: is there a nice tutorial for start DirectX?

i have tried search for some tutorial for Directx on C++(with Code Blocks IDE), but some have errors or aren't ANSI(compatible with GCC compiler).
    can anyone advice me a tutorial?
    i need another correction: the Directx is, by time to time, absolete?

Re: C++: is there a nice tutorial for start DirectX?

Quote Originally Posted by Cambalinho View Post
    i need another correction: the Directx is, by time to time, absolete?
    Yes I would say so. Lately there has been two groundbreaking updates to Direct3D. The first from version 9 to 10 and the second from version 11 to 12. I think it's fair to say that each of these updates has made the previous version obsolete even though I'm not sure about the latter. Versions 11 and 12 are so different that there may even be a fork so they will evolve separately.

i have tried search for some tutorial for Directx on C++(with Code Blocks IDE), but some have errors or aren't ANSI(compatible with GCC compiler).
    can anyone advice me a tutorial?
    Personally I've used the "3D Game Programming" series of books by Frank D. Luna to guide me through the Direct3D updates. I can honestly say I couldn't have made it without them so to me they've been invaluable (*). But they are strictly Visual Studio oriented so I can't tell whether they will be of any help to you. And they aren't for free.

If you're going for Direct3D 12 maybe you should consider switching to Visual Studio. If you're not prepared to go all in with Microsoft technology maybe you instead should have a look at Vulkan.

(*) But I don't particularly like them because Luna isn't a very good programmer. The code examples are very messy. You have to be very careful when you lift out the essential parts.
    Last edited by wolle; December 20th, 2017 at 12:38 AM.

the GCC compiler limitations is the problem. but i'm more ok with C\C++ on Code Blocks than Visual Studio.
    thanks for all

Quote Originally Posted by Cambalinho View Post
    the GCC compiler limitations is the problem. but i'm more ok with C\C++ on Code Blocks than Visual Studio.
    thanks for all
    Then I have a suggestion. You get your hands on the relevant Luna book, either by buying it or borrowing it or finding it on the net. Then you download VS 2017 community for free and study and run the Luna code examples. Finally you lift what you want from the Luna source code over to your preferred environment.

Also, if you're not entirely on Windows don't forget to check out Vulkan.
    Last edited by wolle; December 18th, 2017 at 05:46 AM.

thank you much for all.

like i said, in these case\compiler, i can't use Directx 11:
    Code:
    #include <xnamath.h>
    error message: "fatal error: xnamath.h: No such file or directory"
    that's why i must use the version 9.
    i can search it on net, but maybe theres more dependencies. thinking on these file, maybe theres more.
    but thanks for all
    i have found 1 nice on net that works fine on my compiler
    thank you so much