FILE_NAME_INFO struct
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: FILE_NAME_INFO struct

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

FILE_NAME_INFO struct

I'm using MSVC 8 to build a library that was originally written for MinGW. One of the source files uses a Windows struct called FILE_NAME_INFO

MSDN refers to it here but AFAICT it doesn't exist in VC8 (although it looks like it might have existed in VC6). Does anyone know what's happened to it? e.g. did it get renamed to something else in later versions?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved. - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: FILE_NAME_INFO struct

I've checked and it's present in VS2017 with Windows 10 SDK installed (#include <windows.h>). Which SDK function is using it?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.5.0)

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Hi 2kaud. I'm building a library called glib which is part of the GTK+ toolkit. Just after posting I realised that the FILE_NAME_INFO struct is defined within the library itself - but it only gets defined if _WIN32_WINNT is < 0x600

What's happened is that the devs have decided to drop support for Windows XP (and in the process, they've redefined _WIN32_WINNT to be 0x601)

I'll need to pass this back to the upstream devs. Thanks for your help.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved. - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

but it only gets defined if _WIN32_WINNT is < 0x600
    In winbase.h it is defined the other way - only if >= 0x600 !

Code:
    #if (_WIN32_WINNT >= 0x0600)
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.5.0)