CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Input wanted: 3rd Party Products

When it come to 3rd party products you use when developing applications, other than Visual Studio, what are the tools or libraries you use?

This question is aimed at developers - not at those selling a product. Do not list a product you are selling or marketing, but rather only products that you or your company use.

Include planning, design, testing, debugging, performance management, deployment, or any other products that are part of your efforts.

Thanks!

Brad!

Re: Input wanted: 3rd Party Products

If you say compilers, Dev C++,Turbo C++(that’s a very bad one,don’t even try),and GNU G++. If you say games, unity, unreal engine, qubicle. If you want to develop a good application, you may even use visual studio code, it’s very good.

If you want to do faster debugging, building, use incredi build, that’s a debugging and building booster.

In libraries, for excel, xlslib,libxl are good. For games,graphics,SFML and Box 2d are the best.

Thank you so much for the commenters. IT really clear my all doubts.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

I was a huge fan of MFC although I gave up on it years ago and moved to the GTK+ toolchain. GTK+ can be difficult at first. It comes with a very steep learning curve and way too many 3rd-party dependencies. But if you make the effort, it's well worth it. And of course it's biggest advantage is that it's cross-platform.

Having said that, I've never warmed to the gcc compiler.... IMHO Visual C++ is infinitely better and still offers the world's very best debugger. I find it sad that so many 3rd-party libraries are now dropping support for VC++. Or at least if they do support it, it's only via some external build tool, such as Meson or Code::Blocks. It's rare to find VC++ projects any more in open source libraries.

But of course this is partly Microsoft's own fault... it's to MS's great shame that they've always refused to extend Visual Studio into a cross-platform development suite - 'cos let's face it... apart from Microsoft itself, how many other developers these days would want to build apps that'll only run on Windows??

C'mon Microsoft - it's time for you to wake up and smell the coffee !!
    Last edited by John E; September 28th, 2019 at 08:27 AM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

What version of Visual C++ are you using?

Currently VS Community 2019. on Windows 10

(are you saying there are now versions available for Linux & Mac OS ?)

[Edit...] I just came across this web page and realised that Visual Studio can now target iOS and Android. It doesn't look like C++ is supported though (and I'm not sure about regular OS-X or Linux either...) Quite an interesting development though!
    Last edited by John E; October 2nd, 2019 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I just [...] realised that Visual Studio can now target iOS and Android.
    In the last few weeks, Apple has released a new OS for the iPad (appropriately called iPadOS).

It's apparently just an extension of iOS (so will possibly be compatible with Visual Studio at some point ?)

I was a huge fan of MFC although I gave up on it years ago and moved to the GTK+ toolchain. GTK+ can be difficult at first. It comes with a very steep learning curve and way too many 3rd-party dependencies.
    There's another one called wxWidgets which is said to be quite similar to MFC. It's been around for a long time and seems well supported. The day I'm abandoning WTL I'm going for it.

https://www.wxwidgets.org/

At the above link these two YouTube videos about vxWidgets are linked. They look very solid,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOIbK4bJKS8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwUGeV2fnfM

It's rare to find VC++ projects any more in open source libraries.
    It's because it's proprietary. The next thing I'm going to do when I abandon WTL is to switch to an open build system and it's going to be CMake which is supported by Visual C++,

https://cmake.org/

it's to MS's great shame that they've always refused to extend Visual Studio into a cross-platform development suite
    Well, it takes time to turn a big ship around. I think that's maybe why Microsoft has introduced a new IDE called VS Code. It's multi-platform multi-language and very open right from the start,

https://code.visualstudio.com/

But I'm probably going to stick with the old Visual Studio because it's going in the right direction slow but steady in my view.
    Last edited by wolle; October 5th, 2019 at 04:26 AM.

Many thanks wolle - some great information there. Do you happen to know if VS Code supports C++? (I'm only asking because Visual Studio for Android and iOS apparently doesn't...)

Also, if you're considering a move to wxWidgets there are other toolkits around that might be worth considering too. Qt is quite a mature product and seems to have a good reputation. And there's another one available called Juce

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Do you happen to know if VS Code supports C++?
    Have a look at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...compile-c-code which explains.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks 2kaud - after a bit more reading I'm realising that VS Code isn't a compiler or build system (in the Visual Studio sense). It's more like a 'clever editor' that can link to other build systems (such as cmake or gcc) and to other debuggers (such as gdb or lldb). Rather than being a 'cross-platform compiler' I'm starting to think it's quite similar to Code::Blocks (i.e. a powerful code editor which isn't restricted to using Microsoft build tools).

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Thanks 2kaud - after a bit more reading I'm realising that VS Code isn't a compiler or build system (in the Visual Studio sense). It's more like a 'clever editor' that can link to other build systems (such as cmake or gcc) and to other debuggers (such as gdb or lldb). Rather than being a 'cross-platform compiler' I'm starting to think it's quite similar to Code::Blocks (i.e. a powerful code editor which isn't restricted to using Microsoft build tools).
    Er yes - VS Code is just an advanced text editor (and source control) suitable for different programming languages. It does offer in-built debugging facilities (and can be used with other debuggers) and can be used to compile code if there are existing compilers installed using cmake etc. Support for languages is via extensions. These extensions enable the appropriate configurations to be created, saved (as .json files) and used to compile and run programs within VS Code.

See also https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/cpp and links.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

It's more like a 'clever editor'
    "Clever editor" is the long-term trend also Visual Studio is following. Even though it would be convenient I don't think there will ever be a complete Visual Studio including ported versions of Microsoft's compilers, debuggers, build systems and other sub-components on all major platforms.

Instead it's more likely that Visual Studio itself will be available on many platforms but not necessarily other sub-components from Microsoft. Also Visual Studio for Windows will "open-up" to allow non-Microsoft sub-components to be used. This process has already started. You can use both CMake and Clang with Visual Studio,

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppbl...visual-studio/
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp...o?view=vs-2019

I don't have detailed knowledge about what's possible and what's not at this particular moment in time but I think this is something Microsoft is more or less forced to do if they want Visual Studio to be the IDE. There is strong competition, for example from Eclipse IDE for C/C++.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast