CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Decided I would like to learn some languages.

Hello, I have always had a passion for computers, since I was young, I am now 24 and currently work in marketing, I have decided I don't really want to follow this career path anymore and would like to pursue something I am quite passionate about.
    I have no experience in programming languages what so ever, but would like to start and learn as much as I can, in turn helping me to work in software development.

I had a few questions I hope someone experienced can answer.

Which are the main languages I need to learn and which should I start first.

I was looking at Java to begin with then moving onto C++, I also wanted to know which were the most sought after certifications for the languages. What exactly do employers look for in these sort of job roles?

I don't want to run before I can walk just want a general idea and some advice really on the best course of action to get to where I want to be.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Decided I would like to learn some languages.

Imo, certifications get you in the door for an interview but what you really need to learn is how to code in the language you choose. Programming interviews are unlike other interviews - in a programming interview you will grilled with in depth technical questions about programming. You can have all the certifications you like but they won't help if you can't answer the technical questions.

But you may worry about interviewing later, probably the thing to do is enroll in a class to see if you like to program. Yes, the money in programming is good, but not good enough if you don't have the aptitude and hate it. Take a class first and see if it's something you look forward to and enjoy. Then worry what languages or areas to get into later.

Since you don't mention any application area in particular I suggest you try out Python. It's an increasingly popular language in education at all levels from school children to university students.

For example, here's a recent survey of introductory languages at US universities,

https://cacm.acm.org/blogs/blog-cacm...ities/fulltext

But Python is not just for education. It has a high rating in overall popularity as the TIOBE index shows,

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

And here's a high quality motivational introduction,

http://www.cs.montana.edu/~sdowdle/P...-April2015.pdf
    Last edited by wolle; October 23rd, 2017 at 10:38 AM.

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Imo, certifications get you in the door for an interview but what you really need to learn is how to code in the language you choose. Programming interviews are unlike other interviews - in a programming interview you will grilled with in depth technical questions about programming. You can have all the certifications you like but they won't help if you can't answer the technical questions.

But you may worry about interviewing later, probably the thing to do is enroll in a class to see if you like to program. Yes, the money in programming is good, but not good enough if you don't have the aptitude and hate it. Take a class first and see if it's something you look forward to and enjoy. Then worry what languages or areas to get into later.
    Thanks for the clarification!

Hi,

There are many like you, I think you should more focus towards languages which are more popular nowadays like python/R etc.

I also worked in marketing for a long time and studied this specialty at the university, when I was preparing my coursework about the marketing plan for frozen yogurts delight company on, but later I went on to develop applications because I liked it more. I also think that you need to start with JavaScript or Python, since these are one of the most common languages and they are easier to learn. A good introduction to JavaScript on Udacity and on edX you can start to learn Python.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by eterd View Post
    I also worked in marketing for a long time and studied this specialty at the university, when I was preparing my coursework about the marketing plan for frozen yogurts delight company on https://answershark.com/writing/busi...s-delight.html, but later I went on to develop applications because I liked it more. I also think that you need to start with JavaScript or Python, since these are one of the most common languages and they are easier to learn. A good introduction to JavaScript on Udacity and on edX you can start to learn Python.
    Good luck!
    I would also like to add that now Swift is gaining popularity, but it's intended primarily for iOS and macOS developers. Compatible with the basic Apple code base written in Objective-C.