dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    2kaud's Avatar
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,309

    [RESOLVED] Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    With VS 2017 15.5.0 & 15.5.1 there is an issue with the linker. When doing incremental builds the linker can 'crash' with the message that cl has stopped working and display a register dump etc. The work around is to do a complete rebuild. This can happen after some source code changes but we've been unable to determine exactly what.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

    C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

  2. #2
    VictorN's Avatar
    VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hanover Germany
    Posts
    19,168

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    With VS 2017 15.5.0 & 15.5.1 there is an issue with the linker. When doing incremental builds the linker can 'crash' with the message that cl has stopped working and display a register dump etc. The work around is to do a complete rebuild. This can happen after some source code changes but we've been unable to determine exactly what.
    There is now the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5.2 from December 14, 2017 available.
    However, the issue with the linker was not mentioned in the Release Notes: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/n...s2017-relnotes

    BTW, did you report the problem to Microsoft?
    Victor Nijegorodov

  3. #3
    2kaud's Avatar
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,309

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    There is now the Visual Studio 2017 version 15.5.2 from December 14, 2017 available.
    Yes. We've updating.

    BTW, did you report the problem to Microsoft?
    No - as we can't reproduce it. Often build will work fine after code changes and then on another build cl crashes and a full rebuild is needed.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

    C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

  4. #4
    2kaud's Avatar
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,309

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    The problem is still present in 15.5.2

    Code:
    generating code
    1>LINK : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
    1>(compiler file 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c', line 258)
    1> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
    1>Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
    1> Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1ec09
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1e623
    1>  link!DllGetC2Telemetry()+0xbbcc0
    1>
    1>LINK : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
    1>(compiler file 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c', line 258)
    1> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
    1>Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
    1> Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1ec09
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1ec09
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1e623
    1>  link!DllGetC2Telemetry()+0xbbcc0
    1>
    1>
    1>LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IMAGE::BuildImage
    1>
    1>  Version 14.12.25831.0
    1>
    1>  ExceptionCode            = C0000005
    1>  ExceptionFlags           = 00000000
    1>  ExceptionAddress         = 5A28DE25 (59E60000) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.12.25827\bin\HostX86\x86\c2.dll"
    1>  NumberParameters         = 00000002
    1>  ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000000
    1>  ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 09FCDC84
    1>
    1>CONTEXT:
    1>  Eax    = 09FCDC84  Esp    = 0045E7B0
    1>  Ebx    = 0026010C  Ebp    = 0045E7E0
    1>  Ecx    = 00000005  Esi    = 09FCDC84
    1>  Edx    = 05D7002C  Edi    = 0045E7C0
    1>  Eip    = 5A28DE25  EFlags = 00010206
    1>  SegCs  = 00000023  SegDs  = 0000002B
    1>  SegSs  = 0000002B  SegEs  = 0000002B
    1>  SegFs  = 00000053  SegGs  = 0000002B
    1>  Dr0    = 00000000  Dr3    = 00000000
    1>  Dr1    = 00000000  Dr6    = 00000000
    1>  Dr2    = 00000000  Dr7    = 00000000
    1>Done building project "disal.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

    C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

  5. #5
    Arjay's Avatar
    Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12,688

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    The problem is still present in 15.5.2

    Code:
    generating code
    1>LINK : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
    1>(compiler file 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c', line 258)
    1> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
    1>Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
    1> Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1ec09
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1e623
    1>  link!DllGetC2Telemetry()+0xbbcc0
    1>
    1>LINK : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
    1>(compiler file 'f:\dd\vctools\compiler\utc\src\p2\main.c', line 258)
    1> To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
    1>Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
    1> Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1ec09
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1ec09
    1>  link!InvokeCompilerPass()+0x1e623
    1>  link!DllGetC2Telemetry()+0xbbcc0
    1>
    1>
    1>LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IMAGE::BuildImage
    1>
    1>  Version 14.12.25831.0
    1>
    1>  ExceptionCode            = C0000005
    1>  ExceptionFlags           = 00000000
    1>  ExceptionAddress         = 5A28DE25 (59E60000) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.12.25827\bin\HostX86\x86\c2.dll"
    1>  NumberParameters         = 00000002
    1>  ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000000
    1>  ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 09FCDC84
    1>
    1>CONTEXT:
    1>  Eax    = 09FCDC84  Esp    = 0045E7B0
    1>  Ebx    = 0026010C  Ebp    = 0045E7E0
    1>  Ecx    = 00000005  Esi    = 09FCDC84
    1>  Edx    = 05D7002C  Edi    = 0045E7C0
    1>  Eip    = 5A28DE25  EFlags = 00010206
    1>  SegCs  = 00000023  SegDs  = 0000002B
    1>  SegSs  = 0000002B  SegEs  = 0000002B
    1>  SegFs  = 00000053  SegGs  = 0000002B
    1>  Dr0    = 00000000  Dr3    = 00000000
    1>  Dr1    = 00000000  Dr6    = 00000000
    1>  Dr2    = 00000000  Dr7    = 00000000
    1>Done building project "disal.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
    Report it to Microsoft even if you can't reliably repro it.

  6. #6
    2kaud's Avatar
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,309

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    This has already been reported but MS are having trouble identifying the issue as it can't be reproduced.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

    C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

  7. #7
    2kaud's Avatar
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,309

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    Update.

    We think we've narrowed it down to a link optimisation option. If the link option Link Time Code Generation is set to Use Fast Link Time Code Generation (/LTCG:incremental) we get the issue. If it is set to Use Link Time Code Generation (/LTCG) so far we haven't had the issue.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

    C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

  8. #8
    Arjay's Avatar
    Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12,688

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    This has already been reported but MS are having trouble identifying the issue as it can't be reproduced.
    Ok, in post #3 you said you hadn't reported it.

  9. #9
    2kaud's Avatar
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,309

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Ok, in post #3 you said you hadn't reported it.
    Yes - but on looking at Visual Studio reported problems before reporting it as suggested I found an already existing fault report. However, as this said that they wanted others who had this issue to also report it, I have done. MS have now asked as to how to reproduce the issue - which we can't do. It seems that the work-around in post #7 does do away with the problem (which has also been reported back to MS).
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

    C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

  10. #10
    2kaud's Avatar
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,309

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    MS has now confirmed that this is an issue and has been fixed in the next update to VS2017 (following 15.5.3).

    Update. It is fixed in 15.6 Preview 2.
    Last edited by 2kaud; January 12th, 2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Update
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

    C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

  11. #11
    Arjay's Avatar
    Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    12,688

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    Fantastic.

  12. #12
    2kaud's Avatar
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,309

    Re: Issue with VS2017 15.5 linker

    Tests have so far failed to reproduce this issue with VS 2017 15.6.0. So I think we can say it's now fixed in 15.6.0!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

    C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.7.5)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows Mobile Development Center


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width




On-Demand Webinars (sponsored)