CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Need help with a barcode scanner

I;m making a program that scans a food products barcode and inserts it into a textbox. The progam will then tell you where the food was made. This is done by the first 3 digits of the barcode as it tells us where the product was made.
    My question???? How to I essentially pull just these 3 digits out to use as im not interested in the other numbers. I just want the program to recognise the first 3 so it can compare it to a datbase of which country it come from???????
    Thanks guys

Re: Need help with a barcode scanner

Well you could use either Left$() or Mid$() to get the portion you want assuming you are talking about working with the data after it is in the textbox then it might look something like this.

Code:
    FirstThree=Left$(Text1.Text,3)
    The also assumes that you mean the first 3 characters If you actually need the first 3 digits and something else precedes those digits then some tweaking would be required and perhaps use Mid$() instead of Left$() as mid lets you specify both the starting point and number of characters.

Typically I would configure the scanner to send a CR after the data and then check for a CR in the keypress event to trigger the code. That way the code will execute after each scan with no user intervention.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.