CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

WebServices Configuration files

Hi!!

I´m a C++ programmer with more than 20 years of experience. Now I´m starting sailing on these new sea and confess I´m enjoying. That is my first question in Java and it is about WebServices:

I´m developing a Java Application that simply transform JSON messages into ISO messages and vice versa.
    The JSON messages come from a web service and my aplication is calling it to get the messages JSON and, on the other end, it call another webservice to send the translated ISO messages.
    I programed this aplication as I would do in C++. A configuration file to get the format of the ISO fields that would be loaded at the aplication loading. So if a change in the configuration of the ISO field occurs the user will need only to change the configuration file without need to change the code in the aplication. The java guy here said that every time my aplication is called it will be started as in the first time. This will cause the configuration file to be loaded every time it is called causing a low performance, because the configuration file will be open an closed many many times.
    This way, I will have to write the configuration file hardcoded with the drawnback that any alteration on any bit ISO will cause a mantaining in the aplication, that I know this will happen a lot...

Is this true? is the Java guy correct???

it is hard to belive that a so popular technology as webservices have this issue...

Any clarifying will be apreciated

Thank you

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: WebServices Configuration files

Not a Java expert, but if it is anything like web services in .Net, configuration files are loaded on webservice startup and cached. In .Net, the config file is also monitored so if the config file is changed while the service is running, it is reloaded and cached again.

Re: WebServices Configuration files

Thank you for your answer Arjay, clarified my doubt.

Carlos A. Rabelo