CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Error 75 path/ file access error

We run Intelliview for our report writing. It is accessed via vb6. It is installed on around 20 machines and works fine on 19 of them. One machine, it will work for administrator logon and on 1 of the 2 users. The other user whenever any report button is clicked (there are 40 or 50 possibilities) the Path/ file access error 75 appears.

The user profile that does not work is actually copied from the one that does work.

I have done a lot of searching on the Internet and have not come up with an answer.

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Error 75 path/ file access error

Victor Nijegorodov

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

You don't say what version of Windows is used. However the problem could be with the profile copy. The users home directory is only accessible by them and the administrators. Users can't access other users home directory/personal files. If the profile was copied and the home directory for the new user hasn't been changed, then the new user won't have access to this directory. That could be why it works for administrators and the original user but not the copied user.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. No, there is plenty of space on both the file location and the destination location.

Stan

thanks for the reply (I have been out of office for 2 weeks). OS is windows7. None of our users have a home directory. We actually gave the user one and it still does not run Intelliview. I do think you are on to something with the user profile copy. Maybe delete the user profile and set one up from scratch??

Stanb

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    You don't say what version of Windows is used. However the problem could be with the profile copy. The users home directory is only accessible by them and the administrators. Users can't access other users home directory/personal files. If the profile was copied and the home directory for the new user hasn't been changed, then the new user won't have access to this directory. That could be why it works for administrators and the original user but not the copied user.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

What is the path? Is it a local path? Is it a server share path?

What are the permissions for the path?

\\servername\shared\l
    it is a server path of a folder we create for every user.
    it is shared
    full permissions for user
    Next we are going to delete the profile and create it instead of copying.

Here is where the code fails. It gets to this line and gives an error message before it completes the line:

Set myObj = New SynaptrisCOMSDK.SynaptrisReporter

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Is the SynaptrisReporter COM object registered?
    Last edited by Arjay; July 23rd, 2018 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Is the SynaptrisReporter COM object registered?
    Yes, in fact, we need to install a patch so it is done by hand. I chacked that first thing.