CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Running a VB6 Program without Installing

Not sure if its possible ...

I have always used the Package and Deployment wizard to install my VB6 Applications
    I now have a user who has such high security, I am unable to install on their machines the VB6 Runtimes and my Application, which unfortunately includes a special OCX File.

Is it possible to have everything set up on a USB Stick, and run it from the stick ?

I understand the .exe could be run from anywhere, but is it possible to somehow have the VB6 runtime files on the stick only ??

A big ask, but thought someone would know definitely, one way or the other

Thanks

Re: Running a VB6 Program without Installing

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    Not sure if its possible ...

I have always used the Package and Deployment wizard to install my VB6 Applications
    I now have a user who has such high security, I am unable to install on their machines the VB6 Runtimes and my Application, which unfortunately includes a special OCX File.

Is it possible to have everything set up on a USB Stick, and run it from the stick ?

I understand the .exe could be run from anywhere, but is it possible to somehow have the VB6 runtime files on the stick only ??

A big ask, but thought someone would know definitely, one way or the other

Thanks
    I think it is possible if you place a copy of the VB6 runtimes into the usb in the same program folder.
    I remember this being possible somehow, but forget for sure. Lookup "Portable Spacejock" by Simon Haynes. I'm not sure this solution works, but I would like to know if this is possible on Windows 10 (1803). I will have to try later tonight on my desktop.

My Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit fresh installation does not require anything special to run VB6 applications. I took the program folder and copied it over, that's it.
    What operating system is your user using?

Have you tried the method of installing it on your dev machine, then coping the installed program folder along with runtimes inside?

Quote Originally Posted by TT(n) View Post
    My Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit fresh installation does not require anything special to run VB6 applications. I took the program folder and copied it over, that's it.
    What operating system is your user using?

Have you tried the method of installing it on your dev machine, then coping the installed program folder along with runtimes inside?
    They are running W7 - 64bit, but my additional problem is that I have a special OCX, and I am not able to use programs like REGSVR32.exe.
    The additional complication will come from SYSWOW64, I think

Which folders should I copy - I am guessing "Program Files (x86)". What about the SysWow64 ?

Thanks for your keen interest

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    They are running W7 - 64bit, but my additional problem is that I have a special OCX, and I am not able to use programs like REGSVR32.exe.
    The additional complication will come from SYSWOW64, I think

Which folders should I copy - I am guessing "Program Files (x86)". What about the SysWow64 ?

Thanks for your keen interest
    Mmm, I see. I forgot about the registration. So Regsvr32 is not available, or the user does not want it to be used. I would say that it can be registered manually of course, if the user is worried about admin rights.

Yeah, the idea is that your point all install files to the application folder to install there. Then copy that from the "Program Files (x86)" folder. The registration without Regsvr32 is difficult though. I will look into this more to see if there is any alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by TT(n) View Post
    Mmm, I see. I forgot about the registration. So Regsvr32 is not available, or the user does not want it to be used. I would say that it can be registered manually of course, if the user is worried about admin rights.

Yeah, the idea is that your point all install files to the application folder to install there. Then copy that from the "Program Files (x86)" folder. The registration without Regsvr32 is difficult though. I will look into this more to see if there is any alternatives.
    If the OCX can be self registered that would work, if it can be modified to allow self registration. Or a quick registry edit with a .reg file. The ocx file would remain on the thumb drive with all other files. Provided that the USB location is not restricted in this environment, it should work. I will test this process later today.

This was helpful. Thanks.