CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

MSVC2017 install problem

Hi,
    I just downloaded and installed MSVC 2017 Community Edition.
    According to the final window "Installation was successful", however "Setup finished with warnings".

When I opened the log I saw this:

Something went wrong with the install.

You can troubleshoot the package failures by:

1. Search for solutions using the search URL below for each package failure
    2. Modify your selections for the affected workloads or components and then retry the installation
    3. Remove the product from your machine and then install again

If the issue has already been reported on the Developer Community, you can find solutions or workarounds there. If the issue has not been reported, we encourage you to create a new issue so that other developers will be able to find solutions or workarounds. You can create a new issue from within the Visual Studio Installer in the upper-right hand corner using the "Provide feedback" button.

================================================================================

Package 'Incredibuild,version=9.2.1.2173' failed to install.
    Search URL
    https://aka.ms/VSSetupErrorReports?q...l;ReturnCode=2
    Details
    Command executed: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\Incredibuild,version=9.2.1.2173\packages\Incredibuild\incredibuild_vs2017_921_2173.exe" /install /vs_integrated
    Return code: 2
    Return code details: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Log
    C:\Users\Igor\AppData\Local\Temp\dd_setup_20180729192653_460_Incredibuild.log
    Impacted workloads
    Desktop development with C++ (Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NativeDesktop,version=15.7.27625.0)
    Impacted components
    IncrediBuild - Build Acceleration (Component.Incredibuild,version=15.7.27617.1)
    Google search yielded this, which doesn't have a solution.

What the program that failed do and why it failed?
    But more importantly - why the message said "Installation successful"?

The last one is actually rhetorical and probably should be directed to MS itself... ;-)

Thank you.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: MSVC2017 install problem

BTW, does this installed ide work?
    Victor Nijegorodov

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Have you tried to repair the installation?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    BTW, does this installed ide work?
    It appears to be working, yes.
    But what does the failed component do? And why did it failed the install?

Thank you.

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Have you tried to repair the installation?
    No, not yet.
    I may try to do so, as well as just go to the MS site and try to download this and install manually.
    But if I try manual install - will it be picked up by MSVC?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeMan View Post
    Hi,

No, not yet.
    I may try to do so, as well as just go to the MS site and try to download this and install manually.
    But if I try manual install - will it be picked up by MSVC?

Thank you.
    Sorry, don't know as I've never installed any component outside of VS. Doing a repair should hopefully fix it. How did you install - via on-line or from a downloaded image?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Sorry, don't know as I've never installed any component outside of VS. Doing a repair should hopefully fix it. How did you install - via on-line or from a downloaded image?
    I did the online installation.
    But as I said - what is this missing component do? Does it have to be there?
    Maybe it is something that is not required for the IDE/compiler to operate properly - i.e. it is some kind of an optimizer?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeMan View Post
    Hi,

I did the online installation.
    But as I said - what is this missing component do? Does it have to be there?
    Maybe it is something that is not required for the IDE/compiler to operate properly - i.e. it is some kind of an optimizer?

Thank you.
    Yes. It accelerates the c/c++ build process.

The official web site is https://www.incredibuild.com/acceler...cc-builds.html
    The Microsoft site is https://marketplace.visualstudio.com...0.IncrediBuild

As the install was on-line, maybe there was a network problem downloading that package?