dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: New to WPF VB, how to access control between window1 and window2 not using mainwindow

Angry New to WPF VB, how to access control between window1 and window2 not using mainwindow

Hey guys,

I am extremely new to WPF VB programming. I have a form window1 which is a loading bar used to open and copy excel files to a datagrid on window2. However I am unable to just use window2.datagrid1 or the name when created frmload2.datagrid1.

Any help?

MainWindow:
    dim frmload as new window1
    dim frmload2 as new window2
    frmload.show()
    frmload2.show()

window1:
    excel stuff
    frmload2.datagrid. <---Not working

Window2:
    BLANK

Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster

Re: New to WPF VB, how to access control between window1 and window2 not using mainwi

Generally accessing a control from another control has always been an expedient way of doind things but not necessarily a good way of doing things (because it breaks encapsulation). Of course a lot of folks did it that way and suffered through working out issues with trying to access data that was in the form of a parent of a parent of a parent.

A better way to code is to separate the data (in a model) from the UI form(s) and have the form bind to the data. Using this approach, one form doesn't get at data by trying to access a control in another form, it simply binds to that data in the model.

In WPF, form data is bound to an observable model and the model is passed around (i.e as new forms are opened, it binds and update data in the model).

To learn this approach, search the internet for "WPF observable binding examples". There is a good example called "family show" that is probably available in VB.Net.

Re: New to WPF VB, how to access control between window1 and window2 not using mainwi

Thanks for your response! Your method of communication was very helpful in understanding the process. I was able to find this as an example of the databinding. This is pretty easy to understand.

https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/650...WPF-for-VB-NET

Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster

Great. Looks like the perfect example.