CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What debuggers do you use?

I agree with some of the statements. If the logic of the code is bad, no debugger will fix this.
    It’s quite a natural thing to make mistakes. I do not think that most programmers write code without errors, bugs, typos and other things.
    I consider debuggers and other add-ons as coding assistants. I do not think this is a waste of time.

As others have said, it's impossible to write bug-free code, but there are tools to help you.
    One such tool is called unit-tests. You should write unit-tests to cover every line of code you've written, and to test all kinds of border conditions on input data.
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

I may have given the impression that debuggers are used only after the code is in use and an issue is discovered. While this is true, debuggers are used throughout the development process. during code and test develoment - really all though the process. Being proficient with the debugger is essential for efficient development.

I think you are right. Programmer must do debug sensibly. Not just using the debugging tool, but getting and interpreting the results correctly.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

and knowing how to use all of its facilities properly! IMO many/most programming courses don't cover (if they cover at all) debugging techniques and how to use the debugger. This is a skill which needs to be learnt - ideally very early on in one's programming education.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Often the debugging has less to do with the code per se (i.e. code logic or method calls) but more to do with how the code interacts with other parts of the system. Code that uses eventing or multi-threading (parallelism) may not execute exactly how you envisioned it which can result in issues. Part of debugging is learning how to step through code and knowing the debugger's features, but equally important is understanding how to set up the code (i.e. module or modules) so it can be debugged.

Also you can follow the creation of variables, their interaction, destruction, etc in debug mode.

Thank you for so much useful information and many good posts.

Quokka is a debugging tool that gives live feedback on the code you are writing. It shows you previews of the results of functions and calculated values for variables. The extension is easy to configure and works out of the box with JSX or TypeScript projects.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aeliya View Post
    Quokka is a debugging tool that gives live feedback on the code you are writing. It shows you previews of the results of functions and calculated values for variables. The extension is easy to configure and works out of the box with JSX or TypeScript projects.
    What does JXS or TypeScript have to do with Visual C++ debugging?

I asked about plugins as well. As it turned out, there is a TypeScript plugin for working with JavaScript (if I understood correctly)

Forgot about Markdown Editor for Visual Studio. I like this plugin

Thank you all for participating. I found a lot of useful plugins. The issue is resolved)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12