dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open a blank screen and draw with mouse on it

Open a blank screen and draw with mouse on it

Hello,
    I want to make my drawing program, with C++.
    I am very beginner.
    how can I open a blank screen so that I can draw on it when I move my mouse?

I use microsoft visual studio 2017

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Open a blank screen and draw with mouse on it

Victor Nijegorodov

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

C++ does not have integral support for graphics/windows programming. This has to be done using additional libraries with C++. For Windows there is the option of using WIN32 API's which comes as standard with VS. This allows programming of windows using a set of c functions which are part of the Windows OS. If you wat to purse this option, then I'd suggest reading 'Programming Windows' by Petzold 5th edition. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Programming...s=books&sr=1-1

However, most c++ programmers today use 3rd party libraries for graphical programming - of which several are available.

I would suggest, as you are a beginner, getting the book 'Programming: Principles and Practices Using C++' in which Stroustrup uses the FLTK graphical library to produce graphical c++ programs https://www.amazon.co.uk/Programming...s%2C159&sr=1-3
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.0.4)

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Note that this uses MFC - which is a Microsoft c++ class library which is a thin OO wrapper around the Win32 API's.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    SOrry but itdirects me to github where there are dozens of diles which I dont know nothing to do

All I ask is what code to write to i can draw with mouse on a blank screen

To do that, you have to either understand the WIN32 API's or understand a c++ add-on framework. As I mentioned in my post #3, c++ does NOT have in-built support for graphics. First you learn c++ using the console (which is supported as part of c++), then you come on to using graphics. That is why I mentioned the Stroustrup book in post #3. This teaches you c++ first using the console and then introduces graphics programming using the FLTK graphics library.

C++ is not Java or Vb.net etc with standard graphics libraries that can be used early on with learning those languages. With C++ you have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run.

Thanks for answer but no I will not buy any books when there are trillion gigabytes of information and tutorials about C++ on the web and I want to learn by hands on programming myself. Is buying that book a requirement for asking further questions here?

The code below is the basis of what you want:

Code:
    #include <Windows.h>

LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wparam, LPARAM lparam);

int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hinst, HINSTANCE hprev, LPSTR line, int show)
    {
    	WNDCLASSEX wc{};

wc.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX);
    	wc.hInstance = hinst;
    	wc.hIcon = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);
    	wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);
    	wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW);
    	wc.lpszClassName = TEXT("tmouse");
    	wc.lpfnWndProc = WndProc;
    	wc.hIconSm = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);

RegisterClassEx(&wc);
    	auto hwnd = CreateWindowEx(NULL, TEXT("tmouse"), TEXT("Trace the mouse"), WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, 790, 450, NULL, NULL, hinst, NULL);

ShowWindow(hwnd, show);
    	UpdateWindow(hwnd);

MSG msg;

while (GetMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0)) {
    		TranslateMessage(&msg);
    		DispatchMessage(&msg);
    	}

return msg.wParam;
    }

LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
    {
    	static WORD oldx{ 9999 }, oldy{ 9999 }, xpos, ypos;
    	static const HDC hdc{ GetDC(hwnd) };

switch (msg)
    	{
    		case WM_MOUSEMOVE:
    			xpos = LOWORD(lParam);
    			ypos = HIWORD(lParam);

if (xpos != oldx || ypos != oldy) {
    				if (oldx != 9999) {
    					MoveToEx(hdc, oldx, oldy, NULL);
    					LineTo(hdc, xpos, ypos);
    				}
    				oldx = xpos;
    				oldy = ypos;
    			}
    			break;

case WM_DESTROY:
    			ReleaseDC(hwnd, hdc);
    			PostQuitMessage(0);
    			break;

default:
    			return DefWindowProc(hwnd, msg, wParam, lParam);
    			break;
    	}

return 0;
    }
    You need to compile it as a windows program, and not as a console. It has some deficiencies (try minimising and the restoring the window), but it gives an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketanco View Post
    Thanks for answer but no I will not buy any books when there are trillion gigabytes of information and tutorials about C++ on the web and I want to learn by hands on programming myself. Is buying that book a requirement for asking further questions here?
    No - but it's recommended that you do get an up-to-date book on c++. For a web resource on learning c++, have a look at https://www.learncpp.com/ - but as this is generic c++ it doesn't cover windows programming.

As you state, there is a lot of info about c++ on the web - some of it good, some of it bad, some out of date. For learning C++ from scratch I do recommend that you get an up-to-date book on c++. For a web resource on learning c++, have a look at https://www.learncpp.com/ - but as this is generic c++ it doesn't cover windows programming.

We will always try to answer any questions asked here - I've just posted some simple code for your original question.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ketanco View Post
    SOrry but itdirects me to github where there are dozens of diles which I dont know nothing to do

All I ask is what code to write to i can draw with mouse on a blank screen
    Perhaps it's not as easy as you think. There aren't "diles" in the github link, those are the source code files for a sample application that does what you want it to do. If you think drawing in C++ is something you can learn in 10 minutes with a few lines of code, your expectations are way off. It's a very powerful, but fairly low level language that requires not only an understanding of the language, but the operating system and its interfaces.

great it worked....

Now I will try to understand this

Thanks a lot

Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Note that this uses MFC - which is a Microsoft c++ class library which is a thin OO wrapper around the Win32 API's.
    Exactly. In this day and age, why would anyone choose to code the Win API without using an object oriented wrapper?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Exactly. In this day and age, why would anyone choose to code the Win API without using an object oriented wrapper?
    sorry, I didnt understand. I am just beginning C++. i dont understand this sentence. all I have is windows 10 on my laptop and i saw that i had ms visual studio installed so i started writing C++ like that.

Nobody these days would start out to write a windows program using WIN32 API. Back in the 1990's this was all we had so we had to to get to grips with it. Then MFC came along which was an OO wrapper around WIN32 and made life easier. Then other windows frameworks came along. One of the most popular today is QT (which is x-platform). Today anyone writing a windows application uses one of these modern-day frameworks. There's probably just some of us 'old lags' who went through the pain of WIN32 API windows programming who still 'bear the scars' - and programmers who want to understand for interest the underlying os stuff concerning windows.

To re-iterate what has been said previously - you first learn c++ programming (especially classes) and then you learn a windows programming framework. Documentation for the frameworks (books or the internet) will assume c++ knowledge. Which one often depends upon what you are doing

Eg If you want to create new UWP apps for Windows 10 with c++ you should use c++/winrt - which is Microsoft's new framework for windows c++. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...nd-winrt-apis/

Here is what I am trying to do. I have 2 goals:

1- I am engineer. I want to make my own CAD drafting program, so that I will not have to use those cheap low quality programs, which are frustrating to use, or pay thousands of dollars subscription to good expensive CAD programs. Drawing straight or curved lines and dimensions and angles are enough, I am not looking to make cartoons or game graphics etc....

2- Learn C++ the right way, so that I can use it for other things in the future, for making other computer programs or even for hobby robotics

3- I have time and desire, I can learn. I want to start in right direction

Here is my situation now:

1- I am very beginner in C++, but I had written some simple computer programs before such as php or fortran years ago

2- I have a laptop

3- On this laptop I have windows 10 installed

4- I saw on my computer I also have MS visual studio installed so I started writing on it... But in no way I am bound to this...

So please tell me exactly, where must I write C++, using what, installing what? Please tell me as simple as possible... I want to learn by doing it. I can not learn by studying only.
    Last edited by Ketanco; May 12th, 2019 at 05:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast