dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: How would I implement this into my program?

How would I implement this into my program?

Most of my programming over the years has been console apps. The kind you see in books. But now I want to start writing some Windows based programs. I wish to write a Psychology Test intended for fun for myself and a few others that are interested in the topic. The test will consist of 8 multiple choice questions. There will be 4 possible answers to choose from. I think I know how I would do the logic for the basics of keeping track of how many correct answers the user has so far, and I think I know how to change the question and the possible answers when the user presses the Next button.

But I would like to add some more functionality to it.

It would be cool if at the end of the test the user could press a Review button and the program would take him back or show him which specific questions he got wrong. And I would need to show what the correct answer to that question is.

I've worked with variables, arrays, loops, if statements etc.

But this is totally new ground for me and I don't have a clue how I would implement this functionality.

I was thinking of either using Visual C# or C++ Builder to build this.

Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster

Re: How would I implement this into my program?

One approach is to store the questions and related answers in a database, then the program can randomly present the questions and answers and record the user's choices. Of course, the program would allow a user to register so the user registration info would be stored as well.

Besides this functionalty, you have a bunch of learning ahead. You'll need to decide the type of app to present the data - web based? Standalone UI app? You'll need to learn how read and write to a database (or to do the same for json or xml storage formats). You'll need to leanlrn how to create a form display and navigate through the forms.

In all, you'd probably achieve your program goals quicker if you started with some tutorials of some of the programming tasks (like reading a database or displaying a string in a field or clicking on a button) rather than start on your actual program.

I'd probably choose C# over C++ as well because it's easier to code in and provides more in the way of UI and database interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    One approach is to store the questions and related answers in a database, then the program can randomly present the questions and answers and record the user's choices. Of course, the program would allow a user to register so the user registration info would be stored as well.

Besides this functionalty, you have a bunch of learning ahead. You'll need to decide the type of app to present the data - web based? Standalone UI app? You'll need to learn how read and write to a database (or to do the same for json or xml storage formats). You'll need to leanlrn how to create a form display and navigate through the forms.

In all, you'd probably achieve your program goals quicker if you started with some tutorials of some of the programming tasks (like reading a database or displaying a string in a field or clicking on a button) rather than start on your actual program.

I'd probably choose C# over C++ as well because it's easier to code in and provides more in the way of UI and database interaction.
    Nothing will be random. I will decide ahead of time which is question one, question two, question three and so on. It will not be web based. No. This is for fun. It will be a standalone application. You double-click the executable and you see the Welcome screen and then click Next and you are looking at question one. Simple. Creating a form is simple. C++ Builder and Visual C# do that for you.

Creating a database is something that sounds like I will have to look into. If you can post some example code please do.

Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
    Nothing will be random. I will decide ahead of time which is question one, question two, question three and so on. It will not be web based. No. This is for fun. It will be a standalone application. You double-click the executable and you see the Welcome screen and then click Next and you are looking at question one. Simple. Creating a form is simple. C++ Builder and Visual C# do that for you.

Creating a database is something that sounds like I will have to look into. If you can post some example code please do.
    I can't post example db code, but you can certainly google for it.