CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

can't update server dll

Hi all,

I wrote a active dll using VB and used in a web project using interDev. The compiled dll (only copy) is on my windows\system directory and I use personal web server.

Things seems fine at the first time, but next time when I recompile the dll on vb, I can't overwrite the existing one. I tried to unregister it, delete it on windows explorer or DOS, stop the web server, quit VB, quit interdev, quit any opened IE, but just cannot update it the dll.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: can't update server dll

This is a problem with PWS, it also happens with IIS 4.0. Basically, IIS doesn't release the memory allocation for the objects it creates, so even though there are active clients using that object, IIS is going to be nice and hang on to it for you - so the next client gets that object a little quicker. There are three things you can do:
    1) - Recommended by MS, but i haven't gotten it to work, just Stop the web server's services, update and register the new dll and re-start the service.
    2) This works for me. Reboot and update the dll before any ASP pages ask IIS/PWS for it.
    3) This also works: Change the name of the dll and register it. your asp page will not have to change. eg. my componet was NewASPVB.dll, then NewASPVB2.dll then NewASPVB3.dll etc. each time i compiled it, i registered it the web server was using the latest version (all the bug fixes were there). This is sort of sloppy, but does give the best testing performance (quicker than rebooting). Just be sure to clean up all the other old dlls before moving it to the production machine.

hope this helps,
    John

John Pirkey
    MCSD
    www.ShallowWaterSystems.com
    John Pirkey
    MCSD (VB6)
    http://www.stlvbug.org

Re: can't update server dll

Thanks. That's exactly what I feel. I am going to rename my dll and register it instead rebooting the machine all the time.