CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MCISendString

Re: MCISendString

The delay is most certainly not inherent to mciSendString, so it must be due to something else. Perhaps the way you're opening/playing the file. Do you set the format to milliseconds, or frames? What is the command string you're using exactly? Also, I'm not sure what you mean about AVI playing, but not with the same controls as MPEG.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

McisendString works fine on all the Laptops I have tried

Quote Originally Posted by WizBang View Post
    The delay is most certainly not inherent to mciSendString, so it must be due to something else. Perhaps the way you're opening/playing the file. Do you set the format to milliseconds, or frames? What is the command string you're using exactly? Also, I'm not sure what you mean about AVI playing, but not with the same controls as MPEG.
    http://www.telusplanet.net/public/st..._videosmix.txt

This is the timeline playlist I use to show the Strange artifacts I have been capturing. There is a 13 second difference in the middle of the video and 6 sec difference near the end. SEE the alt==-13000 for the specific differences at various points in the video

There is a 2 year old copy of my source code at:
    http://www.telusplanet.net/public/stonedan/source.txt
    I quit posting the latest source when everyone complained about the excessive use of "gotos" (over 600)

It works fine on all the laptops that I've seen. Just the Old PC tower with windows 98.

It was frustrating to tell someone to look here and the actual action took place many seconds away.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/st...ast_flyers.htm
    again this is the sequence that I have set up so those interested can hunt their own FTS objects. And show them off.

With the AVI thing. I added the video playback capabilities around 2002 and at the time the MciSendString or the avi files I was using didn't have the ability to jump to a start point.
    Last edited by SpectateSwamp; August 23rd, 2012 at 10:32 AM.

Well, scanning through the source code, I saw some of the command strings used for opening the video files did not include the wait command. That may have some impact on the issue you're describing.

I'm also wondering if perhaps the videos might not be encoded as optimally as they could be. What compressor and parameters are you using? Can you attach a short file which exhibits the problem?

Do you have any info about your control. Does it do video?

http://archive.org/details/demo85-pict7

This is the file that I was trying to display.

The source code is pretty old and a lot of the MciSendString stuff has changed over the years. Some not being used but still left in there.

What does your control do? Video I hope.

OK, I downloaded the MPEG1 file. Looks like some very strange encoding, which I don't readily recognize. Tested on a clean install of windows xp, and wmp couldn't play the file, nor could it identify the codec to download. There was a MCI error. VirtualDub crashed when attempting to open the file.

Tested on a win95 box with tons of codecs installed, and wmp couldn't play the file, nor could it identify the codec to download. There was an MCI error. VirtualDub did open the file successfully, and the only clue I noticed is the audio was encoded at 48K, Layer II. Not a good standard, and from my experience can cause issues, especially for videos.

Try encoding with MPEG4-V2 for video, and mp3 at 128K for audio, no VBR. That should play well on virtually everything.

Yes, my control handles video as well as audio, in many formats. But unless the machine has the proper codec, there will be playback issues.

Wow a win95 box? really? I don't think I own any hardware that would be supported by Win95 or even Win98 for that matter

I sometimes wish I could get Win98 to run due to a game I like that runs very well under Win 95, 98 but crashes often under anything newer

I haven't even been able to get either of those to work properly as a virtual machine, mostly sound and video issues.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

I've never had any problems with those mpegs. But maybe everybody else did. Thanks for giving it a go. All my more recent video probably won't have those timing problems. I'll test one of them this evening. Could be that it is just the old mp1 videos had the problems...

Timeline playback was very frustrating when it was so varied.

The greatest video player is here it has random

Recently I found that the app will not run on my new windows machine but the old one is just fine.

Most likely that norton or indexers of wifi stuff is crowding it out.

It doesn't return the video file length. So I'll just issue the mcisendstring a second or more time... with a minor wait maybe.
    One of the coolest features just added is a like a Vibrating progress bar. Which replays the same segment or close to it many many times.

Example start at 60 seconds in and play for 1/30 second... Then budge ahead to 60.001 and play 1/30 second from there then budge to 60.002 and play for another 1/30 second .......... with a mini pause at the end of each 1/30 clip.

Wow what you'll see when things are slowed down and repeated.
    It is the video that you see not any specific video start point.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/st...mo85_pict7.mpg

at 63.9 or so this thingie makes it move. A Sky Creature selfie. I love 'em

new budge feature shows the SkyCreatureSelfie

The Budge feature moves the start point ahead by 1/1000 or so second and plays 1/30 second.
    Then move back to 1/1000 ahead of the last start point and play another 1/30 second.
    Throw slow motion and freeze frame and you are sure to see something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12