CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Counting web address accesses

Is there any way to count how many times a specific address has been accessed, but in any (I mean all) browser ? If yes, how can I do that ?
    Last edited by mesajflaviu; September 20th, 2018 at 07:52 AM.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Counting web address accesses

Search bing or google for "google analytics". This process embeds a tag in the header or footer of the web pages on the site, then there is a dashboard to view site/page hits. AFAIK, it's a free service.

I see, but I can count on a PC how many times, let say, facebook has been accessed, on all installed browsers, even if this site doesn't pass by google or bing ?

I mean, what if I type an Opera browser (on address bar) www.example.com ? that google analytics know that I accessed that site ? And what if I try this site on internet explorer ?

When I refer you to search bing or google for a topic, I am hoping that you will research the topic.

Google has a webpage that shows the web developer how to register for a ga tag and how to add that tag to the website so your website pages are track. Please do the search I asked you to do and see how to do this (google has a ga specific developer web page that shows you how).

Once you've registered and added the ga tag to your site, then you can use the ga dashboard which will let you see the site/page access regardless of the browser or computer used.

To be very clear, the process is you register the www.example.com site with GA and are issued a tag (which looks like 'UA-123456789-1'). You follow the instructions and add the tag to your website pages. Then you use the GA dashboard to see when your site was accessed.
    Last edited by Arjay; September 20th, 2018 at 03:41 PM.

Btw, GA works simply because when you add the GA tag to your site, the tag, browser used, page accessed and other meta-data s recorded in a database.

When you use the GA dashboard it queries the database and filters the site/page access according to your GA tag.

Thank you Arjay, I have found that google application, and seem very good solution. I was thinking at a desktop application where I choose a web address, let say facebook, and example.com, and this desktop app tell me how many times these addresses has been accessed today ... my mistake, I didn't spoken clearly at the beginning ...

Quote Originally Posted by mesajflaviu View Post
    Thank you Arjay, I have found that google application, and seem very good solution. I was thinking at a desktop application where I choose a web address, let say facebook, and example.com, and this desktop app tell me how many times these addresses has been accessed today ... my mistake, I didn't spoken clearly at the beginning ...
    Perhaps GA has a web service that you can call from your desktop app? At any rate, you'll need an internet connection to call the web service, and since you need to be online, there is little benefit to having a desktop app, so why not use the GA dashboard?

Of course, you could reinvent the wheel and charge your client to write the whole infrastructure. You could stand up a db server to store the site/page hits. Write a web service that the www.example.com pages could call and pass the MF tag (mesajflaviu tag) and finally write a dashboard or a desktop app that provides the page hit summary and breakdown. However, the client may not be too happy if they find out later that all of this was available for free with Google Analytics