CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly Interop.ADODB, Version=2.8.0.0

I am having an application where MS Access database is used as back end to the Dot Net application(Visual studio 2005). The MS Access database is on the network and I am able to connect database from my application. The application runs fine for most of the users in my organization. But for a particular group, an exception is thrown while connecting to the database, and the Exception is as follows:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Interop.ADODB, Version=2.8.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
    File name: 'Interop.ADODB, Version=2.8.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'
    at ProjectHandler.modMenue.Menue_Open(String sFilename)
    at ProjectHandler.frmStart.frmProject_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Only the members of that particular group get this error while launching the application, but they are able to open the Access file directly. Any idea why this happens. The particular group is from Germany. But there are other groups in Germany which are able to access the Application/database. Groups using different OS also does not have the problem.

Is there any setting which restricts the group from accessing MS Access through the Dot net application. If I know that, may be I can ask the IT to change the particular security policy with the IT so that the application works.
    Last edited by zuhrs; May 29th, 2012 at 04:24 AM.

Re: FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly Interop.ADODB, Version=2.8

If any one knows the solution, please reply back. Thanks in Advance......

Re: FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly Interop.ADODB, Version=2.8

Please DO NOT POST the same question in multiple forums....
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

I have posted in multiple forums because this question is related to Dot net as well as ADO. I think this is more over a Dot Net issue. I have even noted that you have removed it from Dot Net forums.

#1 : It was not just myself that removed your Duplicate posts.. There are a number of Mods that monitor the forums, However when you REPOSTED the thread where another mod had removed it, I cleaned up and posted to inform you (Your PM's are disabled so i could not contact you privately)..

#2 : The Problem Is ADO related... and the Reply is very involved, and at the time i was busy with several things.

ANSWER:

The First thing you need to look at is the Group of people that cannot use the App, what do they share in common.. things to look at is
    a) OS ver.
    b) Office Ver.
    c) Highest loaded .NET framework.
    d) Group access policy's

I think you will find that they all have a unique combination of these, and because of that, the required Assembly's needed for the ADODB to work are not pre-loaded onto these machines...

I suggest you lookup MDAC, as this is possibly what is needed to fix the problem.

PS: I kept it sort as i didn't have time to do full Searches on it..
    Last edited by GremlinSA; May 30th, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls

Thanks very much for the reply

I have verified the following in those systems

a) OS ver - Same as mine
    b) Office Ver.- Same as mine
    c) Highest loaded .NET framework. - Same as mine (4)
    d) Group access policy's - This one I do not know what all I need to check, as this is managed by system administrator.

As you suggested, I had a quick view on MDAC, which says that there are 3 modules for Jet. But any way I cannot check the difference between the dlls in my system and their system.

What Group policy should I check to verify. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by zuhrs View Post
    a) OS ver - Same as mine
    b) Office Ver.- Same as mine
    c) Highest loaded .NET framework. - Same as mine (4)
    d) Group access policy's - This one I do not know what all I need to check, as this is managed by system administrator.
    a) ver ???
    b) Ver ???
    c) .NET Framework 4 ???
    d) Lets start with these .. (Showing Local Policy on Win 7) Check the Group Policy's for anything similar too.. (pic below)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you so much for the reply...

a) OS Information: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    b) Office Version: MS Office 2007 (Part of MS Professional Plus 2007)
    c) Highest .NET Framework: .Net Framework 4 Extended. Version - 4.0.30319
    d) Group Policy: Software Restriction Policy - No Policies defined

going back to the original problem...
    The application runs fine for most of the users in my organization. But for a particular group, an exception is thrown while connecting to the database
    What is different about this group, How is this group defined, How are the people included into this group.. What sort of rights does this group have..

YOU HAVE to dig around in the Policy's to find out what's different to the other groups...

WE DONT have access to your networks security settings and as such can not check them for you...

You've ruled out the OS, Office and .NET Framework, so now you have to dig around in the policy's... There are 100's of different settings that could cause this problem.. unfortunately i cant name each and every one that needs checking, but here are some debugging pointers..

Create a new user in the Same group that is giving you problems.. login on a system that is working with that user name and see if the problem occurs..

Login on one of the systems that does not want to work with a user from another group where the app does work...

This test's the User's security groups...

Next test the Systems security groups..

move a working system to the same group that the non working ones are on, (remember a reboot is required to update the Security settings) and test...

move a Non working system to another group that one of the working ones are on and test...

Once you find the Unique combination of security policy's that cause the problem you can start by analyzing them each individually...

The Key thing here is once you can replicate the problem you can trace and fix it...

and once you can replicate the problem, do as the msg tells you
    Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
    as this will often lead you to the actual file that it can't open (one of the dependency's of Interop.ADODB)....

Ok thanks.

I know this is very old thread. Even though this might be helpfull for futrue references. I got the same error messages and searching the web I ended here. Other people might come here as well....

My environment:
    Win10Pro, VS2015, C# Form Application.

The solution in my case: in the VS solution explorer, under References, Interop.ADODB, change the value for `Copy Local` from `False` to `True` (by changing the value for `Embed Interop Types` from `False` to `True`).