CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

MDI interface question

Hi, ALL,
    In the Visual Studio if you open too many windows, in the "Window" menu an additional menu will be added - "Windows...". When you select this menu, the dialog pops-up which displays all open documents and user can select which document to close, which to select/activate.
    Is this handler (i.e. showing dialog) provided by Windows itself or I have to write some message handler?

Thank you.

Re: MDI interface question

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeMan View Post
    Is this handler (i.e. showing dialog) provided by Windows itself or I have to write some message handler?
    Did you try? All you have to do is create a new MDI application with the wizard.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Hi, D Drmmr,
    I just tried to create a new MFC application with the wizard. There is no mention of such menu and the handler.
    Problem is I am not working with MFC but with Win32 API and I don't even see what ID the wizard/MDI supplies for that particular sub-menu.

Any idea?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeMan View Post
    Hi, D Drmmr,
    I just tried to create a new MFC application with the wizard. There is no mention of such menu and the handler.
    Problem is I am not working with MFC but with Win32 API and I don't even see what ID the wizard/MDI supplies for that particular sub-menu.

Any idea?

Thank you.
    When you create an MFC MDI application, you get the Window menu, including the feature you mention for free. It's all handled by the framework (or the WinAPI, I don't know).
    If you don't use MFC, then do you get the Window menu for free or did you have to make this yourself?
    Did you try to use Spy++ to find which message is sent?
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky