CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Hosting Winforms UserControl in CDialog focus problem

Hi,

Im having a problem with focus hosting a winforms usercontrol within an MFC App via a CDialog.
    As described in this article
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b1kyh79x.aspx

The usercontrol displays correctly. When I first attempted to select an UI item within the usercontrol, the program hanged.

Within the OnInitDialog of the CDialog I changed it to return false, then it was OK.
    I could interact with the controls inside the UserControl correctly.

BOOL CDialogCaseCLR::OnInitDialog()
    {
    CDialog::OnInitDialog();

return FALSE; // return TRUE unless you set the focus to a control
    // EXCEPTION: OCX Property Pages should return FALSE
    }

There are some context menus that bring up dialogs within the user-control when these menuitems are selected, the dialogs never display and it just hangs again like the initial problem?

Cant get my head round what is the problem and what I have to do to solve it?

Thanks in advance

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Hosting Winforms UserControl in CDialog focus problem

Your debugger should give you some clue.

Question Re: Hosting Winforms UserControl in CDialog focus problem

System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(ref System.Windows.Forms.Message m = {System.Windows.Forms.Message}) + 0x93 bytes
    System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc(ref System.Windows.Forms.Message m) + 0xc bytes
    System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(ref System.Windows.Forms.Message m) + 0x10e bytes
    System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.TabControl.WndProc(ref System.Windows.Forms.Message m) + 0x1b6 bytes
    System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(ref System.Windows.Forms.Message m) + 0x10 bytes
    System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(ref System.Windows.Forms.Message m) + 0x31 bytes
    System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(System.IntPtr hWnd, int msg = 135, System.IntPtr wparam, System.IntPtr lparam) + 0x57 bytes
    [Native to Managed Transition]

breaking while it hangs produces above?

So I guess its it some sort of infinite loop, unable to display the child dialog within the usercontrol?

Quote Originally Posted by PRMARJORAM View Post
    System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(ref System.Windows.Forms.Message m = {System.Windows.Forms.Message}) + 0x93 bytes
    You do know that this forum does not deal in .NET or managed applications, right?

You should be posting in the Managed C++ forum.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Question Re: Hosting Winforms UserControl in CDialog focus problem

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    You do know that this forum does not deal in .NET or managed applications, right?

You should be posting in the Managed C++ forum.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Well apart from im calling it from a native C++ MFC App?
    So really needs to be in both threads?
    Can it be copied into the other as well?

Im assuming the problem is to do with the native client host rather than the managed user control.
    When the user control is run from within a managed host app, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PRMARJORAM View Post
    Well apart from im calling it from a native C++ MFC App?
    That makes no difference. MFC works fine when used with Native C++.

What you are asking for is to fix or diagnose a NET issue. All of those functions in the call stack are .NET functions. Not only that, any Forms related questions also go in the Managed C++ forum.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    That makes no difference. MFC works fine when used with Native C++.

What you are asking for is to fix or diagnose a NET issue. All of those functions in the call stack are .NET functions. Not only that, any Forms related questions also go in the Managed C++ forum.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Ok, Well Iv posted it there too.
    But I feel the solution will be via setting some extended styles or something from with the native parent client app. Thats why I posted it there.

Note:
    #include <afxwinforms.h>

Has been a part of MFC since vs 2005. I just got a legacy MFC app, want to do new stuff using more current windows technology. MFC is so old now!

You have to choose one of two: MFC or .NET.
    Although mixing them is possible (at last everything is possible), that can give you more headache than satisfaction.
    Ovidiu
    "When in Rome, do as Romans do."
    My latest articles: https://codexpertro.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ovidiucucu View Post
    You have to choose one of two: MFC or .NET.
    Although mixing them is possible (at last everything is possible), that can give you more headache than satisfaction.
    Lol, thats the conclusion I am coming too. Mixing different technologies in practice is full of problems not documented.

I still feel its something small but its like the needle in the haystack solution. Like changing return TRUE to return FALSE and it all suddenly started working at least at the top level, I was just about to give up at that point.

Yes am now considering doing a new subsystem in C++ at least got the feature pack from 2008

But having done a recent .NET project you kind of reluctant to going back and using MFC, tedious!