CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Resolved Motions for reintroduction of Visual Basic 6.0 on the market - 2014

There are motions for the reintroduction of Visual Basic 6.0 on the market, in parallel with Visual Studio line. A recent article shows the reality about Visual Basic 6.0 in 2013 and 2014:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...rful-than-ever

We have to be aggressive !

Re: Motions for reintroduction of Visual Basic 6.0 on the market - 2014

Not going to happen. When will people realise this? We are in 2014 now, not 2004...

I do not think we can dictate to people in what language they should make an app. The simple fact that there is a VB6 rebellion in 2014, says very much about the actions that should be taken by Microsoft. What prevents them from making a new cross-platform VB6?!

You can't really run the IDE in any modern environment, for one. And XP dies in a few months...
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Not true, everyone uses Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows 7 and 8. VB6 works much better on Win7 and 8 than on XP

Good luck deploying to Azure, or the Phone, or the Surface Tablet. As I said. We dropped it many years ago. .Net came out in 2002
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginerica View Post
    I do not think we can dictate to people in what language they should make an app. The simple fact that there is a VB6 rebellion in 2014, says very much about the actions that should be taken by Microsoft. What prevents them from making a new cross-platform VB6?!
    Rebellion leading to what precisely? Sorry to come off rude, but, why on earth should MS do this. Nowhere any valid points have been made. It sounds more like sour grapes, sorry.

This "rebellion" has been coming for years, and older VB 6 programmers simply do not want to adapt to .NET. This day and age, you're doing your career much moree damage than good, by not wanting or at least considering to adapt.

A couple of years ago I was also at the forefront of this war, but I have had to adapt, seeing the fact that technology is advancing so quickly.

I repeat. This. is. not. going. to. happen.

What Cross-platform are you talking about?

With the right tools you can develop any VB.NET / C# application for any environment. This includes: mobile, Apple, Linux etc. Can VB 6 do this?

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Good luck deploying to Azure, or the Phone, or the Surface Tablet. As I said. We dropped it many years ago. .Net came out in 2002
    Good point.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post

I think the programming language it must be the people's choice (so far VB6 is). If Microsoft wants some deploying to Azure, or the Phone, or the Surface Tablet, then it must make a new version of VB6 that can do that. If MS will do that, it will have a huge number of projects

Quote Originally Posted by HanneSThEGreaT View Post
    Rebellion leading to what precisely? Sorry to come off rude, but, why on earth should MS do this. Nowhere any valid points have been made. It sounds more like sour grapes, sorry.

This "rebellion" has been coming for years, and older VB 6 programmers simply do not want to adapt to .NET. This day and age, you're doing your career much moree damage than good, by not wanting or at least considering to adapt.

A couple of years ago I was also at the forefront of this war, but I have had to adapt, seeing the fact that technology is advancing so quickly.

I repeat. This. is. not. going. to. happen.

What Cross-platform are you talking about?

With the right tools you can develop any VB.NET / C# application for any environment. This includes: mobile, Apple, Linux etc. Can VB 6 do this?

Good point.
    Amen

Rebellion leading to: 1) introduction to the market of a new VB6, or, 2) VB6 developers moving to Linux. You did come off rude . The valid points have been made all over the internet. Older VB6 programmers did adapt, but NOT to .NET, we adapted to Java and C++.

They would literally have to write a COMPILER (Rosylyn) IN VB6. Good luck...

You can interact with the new IDE in new ways that you can't even imagine. The VB compiler was WRITTEN in VB.Net, and compiled.
    David

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP

Very interesting article on this subject

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj133828.aspx

I think the programming language it must be the people's choice (so far VB6 is). If Microsoft wants some deploying to Azure, or the Phone, or the Surface Tablet, then it must make a new version of VB6 that can do that. If MS will do that, it will have a huge number of projects
    Not going to happen and if they did redesign it to work with phone and tablets and such it would not be VB6 it would be something else and seeing as how there is already something else they offer that does do this there is not much point it trying to revamp something that is over 15 years old to work with these devices.

I use VB6 quite a lot, I also do mobile development and for that I use Vb.Net which works quite well, even if they were to revamp the older style VB somehow I would not want to have to learn how to handle these new devices using it as I already am able to do this with the newer versions of VB which have been released over the last 15 years.
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Not true, everyone uses Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows 7 and 8. VB6 works much better on Win7 and 8 than on XP
    I'm working on a project that originally was written in the mid 1990's which was updated early 2002. At present, it contains some quick basic pieces, a couple of VB6 components, and some C++ components. Its latest revision back in 2002 used a 'modern' database - Access.

What I'm doing is updating the database to SQL 2012 and providing a transition layer to a migration path where we support the old system, both systems and then the new.

I actually installed VB6 on Win7 to look at the code for an app that pulls data out of a text file and puts it into an Access database. Of course that whole "data-transfer layer of writing to a file, then have another app (VB6) poll the folder for incoming files to save to a db" is getting replaced into something more modern.

I have to say, after installing VB6 and looking at the old source code, the last thing I thought was it's too bad there isn't a newer version of VB6 available.
    Last edited by Arjay; January 24th, 2014 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    I'm working on a project that originally was written in the mid 1990's which was updated early 2002. At present, it contains some quick basic pieces, a couple of VB6 components, and some C++ components. Its latest revision back in 2002 used a 'modern' database - Access.

What I'm doing is updating the database to SQL 2012 and providing a transition layer to a migration path where we support the old system, both systems and then the new.

I actually installed VB6 on Win7 to look at the code for an app that pulls data out of a text file and puts it into an Access database. Of course that whole "data-transfer layer of writing to a file, then have another app (VB6) poll the folder for incoming files to save to a db" is getting replaced into something more modern.

I have to say, after installing VB6 and looking at the old source code, the last thing I thought was it's too bad there isn't a newer version of VB6 available.

I think you missed what Arjay was saying.
    the last thing I thought was it's too bad there isn't a newer version of VB6 available
    This does not mean that he was wishing for a new version, but rather that thought would have been the last thing on his mind or in other words not enter his mind at all
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.