CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

What is the purpose to declare constructor as protected?

Thanks.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: What is the purpose to declare constructor as protected?

Victor Nijegorodov

Thanks for the link. Let's compare two cases that making constructor protected or making constructor private. They both don't allow users to instantiate the object of the class directly. The difference is that making constructor protected makes derived class be able to access the constructor of parent class. What is the use to allow derived class to be able to access the constructor of parent class? Is there any particular reason behind that? After all, the class is not an abstract class, which means it doesn't necessarily need to be inherited from.

I think we already covered protected constructors sufficiently.

A class with exclusively private constructors not only couldn't be instantiated by client code, it also couldn't be derived from. The only way to obtain an instance of such a class would be calling a factory method.

(Well, maybe there's another not-yet-detected logic hole in my argumentation above. I've learned something new about private virtual functions just a few days ago - after more than three decades of programming. So, who would really be surprised? )
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Eri523 View Post
    I think we already covered protected constructors sufficiently.

A class with exclusively private constructors not only couldn't be instantiated by client code, it also couldn't be derived from. The only way to obtain an instance of such a class would be calling a factory method.

(Well, maybe there's another not-yet-detected logic hole in my argumentation above. I've learned something new about private virtual functions just a few days ago - after more than three decades of programming. So, who would really be surprised? )
    I understand a class with a protected constructor can be derived from. But my question is what is the use to derive from such a class? Thanks.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

So don't keep us all in suspense. Do tell!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    So don't keep us all in suspense. Do tell!
    You mean the bit about private virtual functions? Here you go: http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...79#post2124079 I just noticed that this was in another thread initiated by Larry, BTW.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Yeah, LarryChen has this habit of asking weird questions, but sometimes they lead to interesting stuff

By the way, if you want to fill possible gaps in your C++ knowledge such as the one you had concerning private virtual functions (and the non-virtual interface idiom/Template Method pattern), read the Effective C++ series by Scott Meyers, C++ Common Knowledge by Stephen Dewhurst, and the online Guru of the Week (GotW) by Herb Sutter. Some of what they talk about may be outdated with the advent of C++11, but they do contain lots of good stuff.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Thanks for your recommendations, laserlight.

I've already read many good things about Effective C++, yet didn't perceive it as a series. But well, at lesst seeing it in conjunction with Effective STL, it certainly is one.

And I just bookmarked GotW, probably will be doing some leisure browsing around the site the next days.

As I said, I already was aware of the NVI idiom as such, but it may be a good idea to brush up my fundamentals regarding its typical use cases.

Quote Originally Posted by laserlight View Post
    Yeah, LarryChen has this habit of asking weird questions, but sometimes they lead to interesting stuff

By the way, if you want to fill possible gaps in your C++ knowledge such as the one you had concerning private virtual functions (and the non-virtual interface idiom/Template Method pattern), read the Effective C++ series by Scott Meyers, C++ Common Knowledge by Stephen Dewhurst, and the online Guru of the Week (GotW) by Herb Sutter. Some of what they talk about may be outdated with the advent of C++11, but they do contain lots of good stuff.
    Thanks for the recommendations. But it seems nobody answered my question, that is, a class with a protected constructor can be derived from, but what is the use to derive from such a class? In other words, what is the scenario that we design a class which doesn't allow the client to instantiate it and at the mean time allows to be derived from? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryChen View Post
    [...] But it seems nobody answered my question, that is, a class with a protected constructor can be derived from, but what is the use to derive from such a class? In other words, what is the scenario that we design a class which doesn't allow the client to instantiate it and at the mean time allows to be derived from? Thanks.
    I suppose you do know what an abstract class is and what it's good for. A class with only protected constructors effectively is much the same, it just doesn't demand pure virtual functions to manifest abstractness. This is somewhat a C++-specific thing; some other languages have an abstract keyword to disable instantiation and that's it, regardless of constructor visibility.

I suppose you do know what an abstract class is and what it's good for. A class with only protected constructors effectively is much the same, it just doesn't demand pure virtual functions to manifest abstractness. This is somewhat a C++-specific thing; some other languages have an abstract keyword to disable instantiation and that's it, regardless of constructor visibility.
    Are you saying a class with a protected constructor serves as an abstract class? Think about a singleton class with a protected constructor. You can still call a static member function to create an instance. So obviously a class with a protected constructor is NOT same as an abstract class. Thanks.

Yeah, right, it wouln't be strictly an abstract class. Instances of it may still be obtained using factory methods, which is a common way to get the singleton instance, but using a factory method isn't tied to the singleton pattern. (Strictly speaking, a singleton instance accessor isn't even a real factory method: It only really produces something once, and then keeps on handing out references to that very item.)

OTOH non-(really-)abstract classes may have derivates directly (i.e. without the need to use a factory) constructible by client code. There's no compelling need for that, however.

Factory methods are, BTW, a common way to obtain instances of truely abstract classes. Actually, of course, these are instances of derivates of the abstract class, but this is factually both invisible and irrelevant to client code; it's implementation detail. Quite frequently the actual derived class isn't even known to client code.

Yeah, right, it wouln't be strictly an abstract class. Instances of it may still be obtained using factory methods, which is a common way to get the singleton instance, but using a factory method isn't tied to the singleton pattern. (Strictly speaking, a singleton instance accessor isn't even a real factory method: It only really produces something once, and then keeps on handing out references to that very item.)

OTOH non-(really-)abstract classes may have derivates directly (i.e. without the need to use a factory) constructible by client code. There's no compelling need for that, however.

Factory methods are, BTW, a common way to obtain instances of truely abstract classes. Actually, of course, these are instances of derivates of the abstract class, but this is factually both invisible and irrelevant to client code; it's implementation detail. Quite frequently the actual derived class isn't even known to client code.
    Ok, may I ask a related question here? We can define a singleton by defining its constructor protected. Therefore the singleton class can be derived from. Then what is the benefit to allow a singleton class to be derived from? Thanks.