CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Design considerations for a basic 2D CAD program

Anyone have any experience do this? If so I would be interested in some basic ideas on how to start just doing some basic lines; BUT I am interested also in how the CAD software engineers would do it just to get some insight.

Re: Design considerations for a basic 2D CAD program

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrew View Post
    Anyone have any experience do this? If so I would be interested in some basic ideas on how to start just doing some basic lines;
    There is a huge jump between drawing some lines and CAD software. That's like comparing some kid playing chopsticks on a piano to a virtuoso playing a Listz piano concerto.
    BUT I am interested also in how the CAD software engineers would do it just to get some insight.
    Seriously, CAD software requires not just programming. Mathematics, algorithmic analysis, etc. It isn't just about drawing a line or a bunch of circles.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

so you don't know?

so you don't know?
    Don't know what exactly? How to write CAD software? How to draw lines?

You need to hone your questions down to more realistic levels. Asking "how to write CAD software" cannot be answered by a simple post. If you want to know how to draw a line, then there is GDI and GDI+ functions for Windows. But even real CAD software uses highly optimized graphics algorithms to draw lines, curves, etc. and don't go the GDI route. If you want to know how, then read up on drawing algorithms.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

My post was clear and to the point "Design considerations for a basic 2D CAD program"

Your question is not "clear" as again, it cannot be answered in a single post or on a forum. CAD software is not trivial, and how to design such a system is non-trivial. You may think that designing such a system can be explained in a sentence or two, but that is not the case.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...AD-application

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Paul, you made 3 good points and I am just shaking my head why this had to be so difficult for you?

Paul, you made 3 good points and I am just shaking my head why this had to be so difficult for you?
    All you had to do was a google search. I just stated that what you're asking is non-trivial and cannot be answered in a single post or forum. Add in the "how to draw lines", and I answered that directly.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

am I on camera?