CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Beginner needing help with program

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    It may harm the original poster.

Many teachers search the Internet for plagiarism. If they see that their question was asked here, and then you give the student the answer or close to the answer, that student could get in a lot of trouble, possibly fail, and in some cases suspended or expelled.

If the poster never asked for you to give code, then don't do it -- even if they demand an answer, don't give them one (except for belligerent posters, where there is a house trick that I've done a few times).

It may not hurt you, and it may not hurt GCDEF or any of us, but it sure could hurt that unfortunate student who never asked you to post lengthy answers for him/her. There have been posters pleading that certain "helpers" remove their answers from this board because of the fear of being accused of plagiarism.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    I posted pseudo code….. Get real! We are not here to police the school system….. If a kid trys to trick code from us here then he/she deserves everything they get!

Sorry! I know that sounds hard!

But I need and want to offer help here and not involve myself in policing America’s IT students…. The teachers need to make students aware of the consequences of doing what 99% of programmers do: looking for code on the web! Not we!

Quote Originally Posted by Rigsby View Post
    If a kid trys to trick code from us here then he/she deserves everything they get!
    I am not talking about the ones that are trying to trick code from us. I'm referring to the posters who are attempting to get advice and who have not asked for code to be given. They are not here to trick anyone.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Paul, I understand…. But that is not the case in this post! I thought this was simply a newbie! And not a student! Read the post…..

Best regards,

Rigsby

Paul, I understand…. But that is not the case in this post! I thought this was simply a newbie! And not a student! Read the post…..

Best regards,

Rigsby
    Well, to be on the safe side, post code that only a professional C++ programmer would have or could have written. For example, using very advanced templates, maybe a template meta-program, something from boost, etc.

Now what if an answer is demanded? If the scenario was that the student poster demanded we give them an answer, what would you do then? Hopefully you won't give in that easily.

We've fleshed out a few of those posters also, and there are ways to deal with them and give the answers (see above). The extreme would be to obfuscate the code.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Well, to be on the safe side, post code that only a professional C++ programmer would have or could have written. For example, using very advanced templates, maybe a template meta-program, something from boost, etc.

Now what if an answer is demanded? If the scenario was that the student poster demanded we give them an answer, what would you do then? Hopefully you won't give in that easily.

We've fleshed out a few of those posters also, and there are ways to deal with them and give the answers (see above). The extreme would be to obfuscate the code.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    But you are missing the point… I am not a professional C++ programmer…. I am a very talented newbie…… Perhaps….. But I cannot police this forum! I can/will help where I can but I am (to tell the truth) here to ask for help…… And, I still don’t understand why posters are policing the forum! Surely if I do something wrong, a moderator (Admin) has the job of telling me that!

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]But you are missing the point… I am not a professional C++ programmer…. I am a very talented newbie…… Perhaps….. But I cannot police this forum! I can/will help where I can but I am (to tell the truth) here to ask for help……
    The ones who have been here the longest, posted the most, and have helped the most are the ones advising you against posting homework answers. There has to be some wisdom in what they're saying, wouldn't you think so?

Also, maybe because you're a new programmer or not a professional is a reason why you don't see things the same way GCDEF, myself, and others see it. You could say there is a "code of ethics" amongst programmers.

And it isn't just this board:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/how...t.html#faq-5.2
    http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/how...t.html#faq-5.3

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

The ones who have been here the longest, posted the most, and have helped the most are the ones advising you against posting homework answers. There has to be some wisdom in what they're saying, wouldn't you think so?

Also, maybe because you're a new programmer or not a professional is a reason why you don't see things the same way GCDEF, myself, and others see it. You could say there is a "code of ethics" amongst programmers.

And it isn't just this board:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/how...t.html#faq-5.2
    http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq/how...t.html#faq-5.3

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    No… sorry! But old and long does not mean right! I will not argue this with you out of respect for you, but old and tested is religion, terrorism; it has always been that way……. We must be allowed to question and argue or there is no freedom!

And…. I did not post a Homework answer… That is the main point!

dahrull, if you still need help with this I suggest you start a new thread.

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

I think I'll ask moderators to close this thread.
    OK?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123