CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Using Both Visual Studio 2003 and 2010 Projects

Currently I have a visual studio 2003 project.
    I would like to know how to convert it to visual studio 2010 the proper way.
    Also, how do I keep both VS2003 and VS2010 project settings so that I can select to use either 2003 and 2010 project settings whenever I want since I have both VS2003 and VS2010 installed on my PC?
    Regards,
    PH Chang

Re: Using Both Visual Studio 2003 and 2010 Projects

Quote Originally Posted by PHChang View Post
    Currently I have a visual studio 2003 project.
    I would like to know how to convert it to visual studio 2010 the proper way.
    Open the project in VS2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHChang View Post
    Also, how do I keep both VS2003 and VS2010 project settings so that I can select to use either 2003 and 2010 project settings whenever I want since I have both VS2003 and VS2010 installed on my PC?
    Projects will be saved with a different extension in VS2010. You'll have to create a copy of the solution, though. When you switch between the two, you'll need to do a complete rebuild if you do this.
    Cheers, D Drmmr

Please put [code][/code] tags around your code to preserve indentation and make it more readable.

As long as man ascribes to himself what is merely a posibility, he will not work for the attainment of it. - P. D. Ouspensky

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Even though you can manually keep both solution versions around, as time goes on, it's going to be harder to maintain the older version (especially if you use the new compiler features not found in 2003).

That being said, why double your work trying to maintain multiple versions?

If at all possible, convert to the new version and never look back.

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Even though you can manually keep both solution versions around, as time goes on, it's going to be harder to maintain the older version (especially if you use the new compiler features not found in 2003).

That being said, why double your work trying to maintain multiple versions?

If at all possible, convert to the new version and never look back.
    If you have access to VS2010, I really suggest you convert your VS2003 solutions over to VS2010 and don't bother with VS2003 anymore. Maintaining two solution versions is really not worth the bother unless you have a very, very good reason for needing to maintain a VS2003 version.

Indeed, I would go as far as suggesting upgrading to VS2013 which has recently been released.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Ya I think new .sln and .sdf files will be generated using VS2010. If I choose to backup the old project settings, the old settings still remain with .old extension.
    In transition period, maybe will try to keep both version first in case anything goes wrong.
    In the long run, I believe using one version will be easier to maintain.
    Thanks all for the advise.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

If you are able, please consider 2kaud's suggesting of moving to VS2013. It's worth it, if you can do it.