CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

please help with client server program in MFC

I need to create a TCP/IP program using visual studios MFC that displays all client's IP addresses that are connected to the client.
    The MFC application just has a list box and a button. The client can be a simple console application.
    When the button is clicked, the list box gets populated with all ip addresses of connected clients.

This is probably really simple for anyone who knows how to do it but i have never used MFC before and i can't find any basic tutorials/source code

please help me with this
    Last edited by beginner91; March 12th, 2013 at 09:07 AM.

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: please help with client server program in MFC

Well, what you need is an MFC CAsyncSocket class.
    You could also look at this essay about MFC Asynchronous Socket Example
    Note that for your current task you will need only a small part of this example (and only its server part)
    Victor Nijegorodov

sorry that essay didn't really help

Quote Originally Posted by beginner91 View Post
    sorry that essay didn't really help
    And what did you mean under "really help"?
    Did you implement this code? Did you test it? Have you understood how it works?
    Did you read about CAsyncSocket class in MSDN?
    Victor Nijegorodov

no i did not implement this code because this example is not what i want my program to do

no i did not implement this code because this example is not what i want my program to do
    But it does exactly what you asked in your thread subject: "... client server program in MFC"

Besides, like I wrote you:
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Note that for your current task you will need only a small part of this example (and only its server part)
    Victor Nijegorodov

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Sometimes you have to take other code that may be similar and adapt it to your own use. Hoping to find already written code that does exactly what you want isn't a reasonable expectation. If you've never used MFC before, you may want to work through a book or tutorial to get up to speed on it as Windows programming, even with MFC is a pretty complex subject.

the problem is i can't find any basic tutorials. listing the ip addresses of connected clients is not complicated but i know i need to learn the basics before i can do it

the problem is i can't find any basic tutorials. listing the ip addresses of connected clients is not complicated but i know i need to learn the basics before i can do it
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/C-mf...rd=C%2B%2B+mfc

is there no good tutorials online?

is there no good tutorials online?
    I think you're underestimating just how much you need to learn. These books are 1,000 pages or more for a reason. You can't learn this stuff from spending a few minutes reading a couple of web pages.

i have to make this one program using mfc then i will probably never use it again...
    i'm not wasting money on books thats why i am looking for tutorials online

i have to make this one program using mfc then i will probably never use it again...
    i'm not wasting money on books thats why i am looking for tutorials online

For all the years, any new technique or technology I ever learned by making samples just for self training, or out of curiosity, or for fun only, they all re-appeared later in real projects, in this or that form.

[/hl]i'm not wasting money on books[/hl] thats why i am looking for tutorials online
    Right. And how good it worked so far?

BTW, why MFC? MFC is just a framework among others on the market, i.e. just one possible way to implement networking by using a little part of a huge framework, while there might be lots of alternatives like frameworks, libraries, etc., or even no framework at all, just bare Winsock API.

Is it about some special requirement?

The problem is that there's nothing basic in networking with MFC. You need to learn the real basics of networking out of MFC. You need to learn MFC itself out of networking. Then you combine the two and make something useful. Lots of work, you know. I really doubt you can find such simple and consistent tutorial that would guide you through all this.
    Best regards,
    Igor

actually i found some really good source code from this website: http://www.softwareandfinance.com/Vi...nt_Server.html

its code for a basic client server program. the client can send messages (strings) to the server. the server receives the message and also displays the date, time, ip address and port number of the client in a text box.

but like i said in the first post i would like to change this program so that there is a button and a listbox for the server. the button searches for clients and if the server finds any clients, the clients ip address get displayed in the listbox. also the client doesn't need to be able to send messages. just maybe receive a message when it connects to the server.

can anyone help me change the code?