CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Wma Id3

Wma Id3

How can i get the ID3 from a wma file? I've managed it for Mp3's but the code will not work for wma's. I will also need to write to them aswell.

Rich

Re: Wma Id3

I doubt wma uses ID3 tags at all. If it did, the same format would apply, so the same code should work anyway. There are typically some strings at the begining of the file, though I have yet to look into pulling that sort of data. Since m$ hasn't given developers the specs, it seems we're on our own.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

Wma does use ID3 tags, the code i have doent work. I tried using V1 and V2. Should I open the file as binary and put the whole lot in a text box and see what happens? I havent much experience with file i don't know if this can be done.

Rich.

ID3 has a specific format. If it is there, then the same code should work. I did check with a Hex viewer, and though the title and some other stuff is there, they are not in ID3 format.

Apparently the ASF format is what is used for wma/wmv and such. I do happen to have some docs on it, though I've no idea from where they came. One is actually published by m$, so it may be on their site.

you learn something new everyday, is there any to access some of the dll's used by WMP? there might be a function in there. Hex viewer i need to get one.

- I have a hex viewer now but i can't seem to find the information anywhere. Wait found it . Is there anyway to open the file as hex in VB6?

Rich
    Last edited by Rich2189; December 30th, 2005 at 09:19 AM.

There is no "open as Hex", but I think I get what you mean. If you open the file in Binary mode, you can work with it and get the information. I don't know if a dll is used for this in wmp, but it should be easily done with little code. That's not to say you won't be spending a lot of time figuring it out though!

A Hex viewer is quite essential when developing the code to read such files. Just as mp3, mpg, etc have headers, GUID's, markers and the like, so does ASF.

I've managed to find some code to get the file into a hex format but i only get the first few lines. furthermore there is no obvious pattern .

Rich.

Just use the Hex viewer to examine the file, while you read and make sense out of whatever documentation you have on the structure. Be patient. It can take time before your brain clicks into gear. Then it will suddenly leap out at you, and you'll get it.