CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

how to make my new vb6 project run in network

Hi everyone at codeguru

I am verymuch new to programming and could do my first project in vb6 with access db. How can I make this run in network? can somebody help me.

Thanks in advance

SEKHAR

Re: how to make my new vb6 project run in network

You'll have to be more specific. What do you mean by run in network? What problem are you having?
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

Thanks for responding. As I said I am very new to programming. I had developed a vb6 form based application with access db. this application runs well on a stand alone machine. If I have to make it run on lan where multiple users can use the application how would I make it? This is precisely the issue on which I need your help please.

Thanks in advance

SEKHAR

a few issues here:

#1) Access does not like multiple connections to a single database.. Multiple write's WILL corrupt the DB...

#2) Most applications will run from a networked drive as long as the runtime files are on the PC.

Have you tried to run it from the networked drive yet? Has it given you any specific problems??
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

the short answer is that all you need to do is simply put the Access database on a shared folder on the network that everyone has read/write access to... then change the connection string to point to the new location.

That's the short answer. The longer one echoes the warning by Gremlin regarding corrupt data... Despite what people say, when you have multiple users in an Access database at the same time, it's not a matter of IF the database will become corrupt, it's a matter of WHEN. The more users you have, the faster it will happen.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.-I also subscribe to all threads I participate, so there's no need to pm when there's an update.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help - how to remove eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to???
    * On Error Resume Next is error ignoring, not error handling(tm). * Use Offensive Programming, not Defensive Programming.
    "There is a major problem with your code, and VB wants to tell you what it is.. but you have decided to put your fingers in your ears and shout 'I'm not listening!'" - si_the_geek on using OERN
    MVP '06-'10

Thanks TechGnome and Gremlin. I will now place the database on a different pc and try. What is a better alternative to access for a beginner like me please.

MS SQL Express is ideal for your situation, AND it's free... also it does not need office or MDAC loaded on target machine.. Its the Multi user Server database app version of Access..

SQL Express 2008 Download - then you'll need the SQL Management studio to physically work with a Database, You app will not need this to connect..

You can also import the Access DB direct into SQL..

Another issue here is that SQL is not limited to the 2G file size that Access has...
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

The old versions of Access would corrupt data with more than 3-5 users at once. The new version just refuses to allow more than the limit, due to throttling. SQL Express does the same thing, except with their minimum, around 50, I think. Over that needs SQL SERVER paid version.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinSA View Post
    MS SQL Express is ideal for your situation, AND it's free... also it does not need office or MDAC loaded on target machine.. Its the Multi user Server database app version of Access..

SQL Express 2008 Download - then you'll need the SQL Management studio to physically work with a Database, You app will not need this to connect..

You can also import the Access DB direct into SQL..

Another issue here is that SQL is not limited to the 2G file size that Access has...
    " Thanks GremlinSA. I shall follow your suggestions."