CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running .exe files

Hey, I'm very new to C++, I've got a few books to help me learn from. I use Code Blocks to code in, but I've got an issue I haven't found a way to sort (Have tried looking on Google). Whenever I open my .exe file its created for me I get an error saying:

"The program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing from your computer. Try to re-installing the program to fix this problem"

The file works perfectly well in Code Blocks. People have said there isn't need to re install the program as there is a way around it.

Hopefully I've gave you enough information, but if not I will try providing more!

Thanks for you help in advance.

Re: Running .exe files

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueNoName View Post
    Whenever I open my .exe file its created for me I get an error saying:

"The program can't start because libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll is missing from your computer.
    So is that file missing from your computer? If it is, then the error and solution should be obvious.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    So is that file missing from your computer? If it is, then the error and solution should be obvious.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    In the research I have found people say, I can sort it by adding a different Compiler flags, one I don't know how todo that and two don't know what one it is. Yeah the file is missing thats obvious, thats what people have said and the say just move it into the folder where the .exe file is, but I cannot find libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll to move it. Yet its there apperantly.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

A Google search of that error produced lots of results.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

but I cannot find libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll to move it. Yet its there apperantly.
    How have you tried to find it?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    How have you tried to find it?
    Of cause I have. To be honest thats abit of a stupid question. I'm not going to request help unless I really need it haha

I know you have tried. I asked how because the file may be marked as hidden or system and so may not show up in folder listings or some searches.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

I know you have tried. I asked how because the file may be marked as hidden or system and so may not show up in folder listings or some searches.
    Oh right yeah, missed read. Sorry . And I've just been looking though all the folders which are with Code Blocks

Open a command prompt. At the prompt type
    cd \
    dir libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll /S/A/O/P

and see if it shows any files with this name. If it does you will be able to see in which folder it resides. If it doesn't show then there are no files with that name on your computer on the searched drive.

Open a command prompt. At the prompt type
    cd \
    dir libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll /S/A/O/P

and see if it shows any files with this name. If it does you will be able to see in which folder it resides. If it doesn't show then there are no files with that name on your computer on the searched drive.
    Yes, that found the file Thanks. Now just to see if when I move it it does anything different.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Yes, that found the file Thanks. Now just to see if when I move it it does anything different.
    I guess it wasn't such a stupid question after all.

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    I guess it wasn't such a stupid question after all.
    I read it wrong. I've stated that.

The Windows OS has rules on the DLL search criteria.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...p_applications

So the advice you received to move the DLL to various places has nothing to do with a CodeBlocks or MingW setting. If you placed that DLL in any of the search locations mentioned in the link, the OS will find it.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    The Windows OS has rules on the DLL search criteria.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...p_applications

So the advice you received to move the DLL to various places has nothing to do with a CodeBlocks or MingW setting. If you placed that DLL in any of the search locations mentioned in the link, the OS will find it.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    In that case then, I have no idea what todo to sort it

In that case then, I have no idea what todo to sort it
    In which folder did you find the file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast