CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

how swap two strings without using 3rd variable? could it be done using constructors?

how swap two strings without using 3rd variable? could it be done using constructors?
    if yes how?

Re: how swap two strings without using 3rd variable? could it be done using construct

If you are dealing with C-style null terminated strings, and have a pointer to the first character of each string, then you could just swap the pointers. If you are dealing with std::string objects, then just use std::swap as the underlying swap is likely to swap pointers rather than perform a full copy with a third string.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: how swap two strings without using 3rd variable? could it be done using construct

Quote Originally Posted by vickytambule View Post
    if yes how?
    What type of strings are you talking about?

string for example : "qwerty"

I meant null terminated char arrays, std::string, what?

Code:
    #include <string>
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
    {
       string s1 = "abc";
       string s2 = "123";
       cout << s1 << " " << s2 << "\n";
       swap(s1, s2);
       cout << s1 << " " << s2 << "\n";
    }
    Run that example. Is this what you're asking?

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

as a general rule... NO.
    Swapping in C/C++ always requires a temporary.

std::swap() just works around the issue, it still uses a temporary, you just didn't define it yourself.

You might be able to pull some "weird" binary or mathematical trick to swap SOME types of variables, but chances are this'll be less efficient in the end than using a temporary for the swap.

That's why I was asking what type of string. You could possibly do it with some combination of concatenating, copying and shifting.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

The only situation where it is possible to swap standard null terminated strings without using a 3rd variable is when they are exactly the same size (or the memory allocated for the smaller string is at least that of the larger string). See example below. This also assumes that the max ASCII value of any individual char in the string is 127 otherwise *p1 += *p2 will overflow the bounds of a char.

Code:
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

int main ()
    {
    char s1[10] = "abcdef";
    char s2[10] = "ghijkl";

cout << "before swap" << endl << s1 << endl << s2 << endl;

for (char *p1 = s1, *p2 = s2; *p1; p1++, p2++) {
    		*p1 += *p2;
    		*p2 = *p1 - *p2;
    		*p1 -= *p2;
    	}

cout << endl << "after swap" << endl << s1 << endl << s2 << endl;

return (0);
    }

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    The only situation where it is possible to swap standard null terminated strings without using a 3rd variable is when they are exactly the same size (or the memory allocated for the smaller string is at least that of the larger string). See example below. This also assumes that the max ASCII value of any individual char in the string is 127 otherwise *p1 += *p2 will overflow the bounds of a char.
    Generally we don't post solutions to homework here.

Perhaps it doesn't even need to be as nifty as 2kaud's proposal, in case that no temporary string variable (of whatever concrete type) is allowed, while a temporary char variable is...
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    This also assumes that the max ASCII value of any individual char in the string is 127
    The XOR swap (without a temp) doesn't have this limitation,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XOR_swap_algorithm