CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Really need help with Opening Form2,3,4,5 with buttons from Form 1 (With conditions)

Hello !

I'm pretty much newbie in creating a succesful GUI in C++.
    Although, i managed to create 4 buttons that should show a certain form.
    Lets say, Form1 is my main form, therefore - Button 1 will open Form2, and Button 2 will open Form3.....
    But the conditions is - If there is a form that is already open, clicking again on the Button that should open it, will Close it, but all the forms (form1,2,3,4,5) can be enabled together.
    Also, a very important note is that whenever i close a form, in any way of closing it (Not the main form) It will "save" the changes i made (Such as ticking checkboxes and so..) and won't reopen it, it will just use "Visible" i guess ?
    I couldn't get it on google, really =/
    Please help me out !

Notes :
    If i use Form2 ^form2show = gcnew Form2;
    and then Form2->Show();
    I will be able to simply ATTACK the button and open Billions of form2 ^_^
    Although, when i use Form2->ShowDialog();
    It won't let me open the form3,4,5.
    Which isn't so bad, but when i exit from the form2, it won't save my changes (Such as checkboxes..)
    Plaese, HELP ME =/

I'm stucked so hard on this sht...

Re: Really need help with Opening Form2,3,4,5 with buttons from Form 1 (With conditio

Make Form2 ^form2show class member in the main form. When it is null, create and show it. If not null, do something else, for example, hide/show it.

Then you need to override FormClosing event in Form2. If closing reason is user interaction, hide the form instead of closing it.
    Last edited by Alex F; June 12th, 2014 at 07:04 AM.

Re: Really need help with Opening Form2,3,4,5 with buttons from Form 1 (With conditio

Quote Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
    Make Form2 ^form2show class member in the main form. When it is null, create and show it. If not null, do something else, for example, hide/show it.
    so, my code will be :

Form2 ^form2show= gcnew form2;
    if(form2show = NULL)
    {
    form2show->Show();
    }
    else
    {
    form2show->Hide();
    }

In the first button.
    But it says it cannot convert int to Duffyduck::Form2 ^ with the operator '='...
    Also, i assume (without building the project) that whenever i'll press the ('X') button in the form2, it will exit and won't recover it well..

Then you need to override FormClosing event in Form2. If closing reason is user interaction, hide the form instead of closing it.
    To be honest, i already tried the FormClosing event...
    Never got it to work,
    If you have time to make a source with a button that does the conditions, it will really be greatful !
    And really thanks for helping me !

Please read my post again: Make Form2 ^form2show class member in the main form

Please read my post again: Make Form2 ^form2show class member in the main form
    Alright, now i understood it better,
    Although, still can't understand a certain thing - How can i check if its null? or if the closing reason is actually a user interaction ? (To be honest, it doesnt matter for me, just need to hide it)..

Quote Originally Posted by Duffyduck View Post
    How can i check if its null?
    The correct expresion to check for that condition is form2show == nullptr instead of form2show = NULL. The NULL macro is intended for use with native pointers, as opposed to the managed tracking handles used in .NET, and the single = operator is an assignment (i.e. it modifies the object at its left-hand side) rather than the equality test you want.

or if the closing reason is actually a user interaction ?
    The event args parameter passed to your FormClosing event handler has a CloseReason property that indicates just what its name suggests: the reason why the form is about to be closed. One of its possible values is CloseReason::UserClosing. You then may set the event args object's Cancel property to true to prevent the form from actually being closed, if your checks indicate that it's appropriate.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.