CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VB6 Programs now requring compatibility mode in Windows 10

Has anyone else experienced the issue of a VB6 program that has worked in Windows 10 since it came out which now requires that Compatibility mode be set to either Windows 8 or Windows 7 to work? One of my programs started crashing on startup (in Windows 10, shortly after a recent Win10 update) with the message "(program name) software has stopped working."

After lots of troubleshooting with a customer, the only solution was to set compatibility mode for the program to Windows 7 or 8. Of course this is not occurring on the only Windows 10 machine that I have so I am unable to explore the system logs to see perhaps what is causing the crashing.

RCox

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: VB6 Programs now requring compatibility mode in Windows 10

Not sure what your expectations are. VB6 came out in 1998, so having that technology run for nearly 20 years is pretty good.

My expectations are in line with numerous Microsoft statements to the effect that they would ensure that VB6 applications would continue to work with Windows 10 (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vis...b6/vb6-support for one example).

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

That statement only refers to VB6 runtime files (base and extended). It doesn't say anything about VB6 developed applications running natively on Windows 10. Microsoft are ensuring that VB6 developed applications work with Windows 10 by providing compatibility modes.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by RCoxSrCCF View Post
    My expectations are in line with numerous Microsoft statements to the effect that they would ensure that VB6 applications would continue to work with Windows 10 (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vis...b6/vb6-support for one example).
    It doesn't mean that your app will continue to work without any code changes.

VB6 is not supposed to work on Window 10, this upgrade is way after VB6. But I think Microsoft will ensure the compatibility, cause, after all, almost everyone is on Window 10 now.

At some point folks are going to have to realize that they'll need to let VB6 go.

no such compatability problems with VB5.0

My VB5.0 search app has no such compatibility problems with windows 10

My new pc doesn't do so well. Seems other apps are interrupting it. Norton, indexers, wifi .....

I have trialed and errored it and found that the mcisendstring was not returning the video size...
    I"ll fix that by issuing the same command along with a mini wait...

Yes, I've been encountering compatibility and app crash issues after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. But considering VB6 to have been released 20 years ago we need to understand it and do what requires it to get it running on current platforms.

So far I have not had to use compatability mode on any of the software I have written. It all just works on every OS from 98 through 10
    Always use [code][/code] tags when posting code.

DataMiser, this issue has mainly been seen on the Win 10 Preview Build. VB6 applications had been running smooth without requiring the compatibility mode on Win 7 but upon upgrading to Win 10 I've seen the error occurring. You want to see the error logs?

Varsham
    https://showbox.onl/ https://mobdro.one/ https://dltutuapp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by varsham View Post
    DataMiser, this issue has mainly been seen on the Win 10 Preview Build. VB6 applications had been running smooth without requiring the compatibility mode on Win 7 but upon upgrading to Win 10 I've seen the error occurring. You want to see the logs.
    Win 10 preview build? Upgrade to the Win 10 RTM version and latest update. Why chase an issue on an old build?

Quote Originally Posted by varsham View Post
    DataMiser, this issue has mainly been seen on the Win 10 Preview Build. VB6 applications had been running smooth without requiring the compatibility mode on Win 7 but upon upgrading to Win 10 I've seen the error occurring. You want to see the error logs?
    I've not even used the preview build of 10 nor have any of my customers. Preview builds often have issues. I have been running the RTM version with each of the updates and the software has worked on all of them. Thus far the onyl issue I have encountered is that the fall creators update broke the Mobile Device Center and caused some heafaches but that too was able to be corrected without using any compatibility mode settings.

The honest truth, we don't know. You could setup a Virtual Machine with Windows 10 and try installing VB 6 and see if it works.

Windows 10 does not support Windows XP as a compatibility mode, only Windows Vista and later.

Quote Originally Posted by chiragpatel1 View Post
    The honest truth, we don't know. You could setup a Virtual Machine with Windows 10 and try installing VB 6 and see if it works.

Windows 10 does not support Windows XP as a compatibility mode, only Windows Vista and later.
    We don't know what?

I know that programs built with VB6 as well as VB6 do not require compatibility mode in Windows 10. Now if you are using 3rd party addons you may run into issues. Many of my customers have updated to windows 10 and every one of the programs are still working without issue.

As for the preview build, my advice would be do not use it, not at all. Those builds are just meant to give you a quick preview of what the upcoming product will look like and are not meant to be used as your OS, just a preview. If and when I install any of the preview or RC builds I always do it in a way that does not impact my actual OS and/or development environment. Usually I'll install on a different HD, a different PC or in a VM just to test and they almost always have issues of some type or another that are not there in the actual release builds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast