CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

'long long' not standard

Hi,

I was doing a bit of reading into the C++03 standard and I noticed that 'long long' is not standard. If it is not standard, why have so many compilers (Especially MSVC) made up a non-standard integral type?

On 32-bit windows, 'unsigned int' happens to be 32-bits. Also, 'unsigned long' happens to be 32-bits. They could have completely eliminated the need for 'long long' if they had made 'long' 64-bits on 32-bit architectures.

Why didn't things turn out this way? I want to be as standards conforming as possible in my code, which means I can't use 'long long'. However, I need access to 64-bit integrals on 32-bit architectures (Windows XP, in this example). Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

Don't forget to rate me if I was helpful!

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: 'long long' not standard

Just use long long. C++0x will standardize it anyway, and you don't have any better options.

By the way, long is a 32-bit type on 64-bit Windows, too. That's the part that's *really* strange. (It's 64 bits on 64-bit Linux.)

Lang Lang is a fabulous pianist. I heard him play the first Tchaikovsky concerto with the Cleveland Orchestra a few seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley View Post
    Just use long long. C++0x will standardize it anyway, and you don't have any better options.

By the way, long is a 32-bit type on 64-bit Windows, too. That's the part that's *really* strange. (It's 64 bits on 64-bit Linux.)
    On 64-bit windows, long is only 32 bits? What the? That means 'int' must be less than or equal to 32 bits!!
    --MrDoomMaster
    --C++ Game Programmer

Don't forget to rate me if I was helpful!

Lindley is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Technically it's a property of the compiler rather than OS:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#...ic_data_models

Quote Originally Posted by 0xC0000005 View Post
    Lang Lang is a fabulous pianist. I heard him play the first Tchaikovsky concerto with the Cleveland Orchestra a few seasons ago.
    I think, he's a bit overrated. I also heard him a couple years back and thought he was good but not fabulous. Or maybe it's just that here in Germany there is too much fuzz being made about him...
    More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency (without necessarily achieving it) than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity. --W.A.Wulf

Premature optimization is the root of all evil --Donald E. Knuth

Please read Information on posting before posting, especially the info on using [code] tags.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDoomMaster View Post
    On 64-bit windows, long is only 32 bits? What the?

The Old New Thing: Why did the Win64 team choose the LLP64 model?

The forgotten problems of 64-bit programs development

Quote Originally Posted by 0xC0000005 View Post
    And Ling Ling was a famous zoo animal.

Anyway, the "bitness" used by a compiler is usually tied to the CPU architecture. However nothing stops a compiler to have integers of any bits and on any platform. In these cases, the compiler would emulate an "n-bit" integer via software, not hardware,

This was the case with old DOS compilers that had 32-bit longs. Even though the Intel architecture at that time was 16-bit, 32-bit longs were implemented by using emulation (if you debugged into the calls that generated the 32-bit longs, you actually could see a 10 or so line assembly routine just to generate the long numbers).

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

To expand on what Paul said, IIRC, the standard only says:
    Code:
    sizeof(char) <= sizeof(short) <= sizeof(int) <= sizeof(long)
    So, theoretically, if a compiler implements a char as 7 bits, your longs could also be 7 bits!

Viggy

Quote Originally Posted by MrViggy
    So, theoretically, if a compiler implements a char as 7 bits, your longs could also be 7 bits!
    As I pointed out in the input unsigned long from file thread, there are minimum ranges as well. A compiler that implements a char as 7 bits would not conform to the C++ standard, since the C++ standard refers to the C standard, which mandates that CHAR_BIT be at least 8.
    C + C++ Compiler: MinGW port of GCC
    Build + Version Control System: SCons + Bazaar

Look up a C/C++ Reference and learn How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    Kindly rate my posts if you found them useful

Quote Originally Posted by MrDoomMaster View Post
    I need access to 64-bit integrals on 32-bit architectures (Windows XP, in this example). Is there anything I can do?
    You'll have to look at the compiler specification. Like say you use the Microsoft compiler,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc953fe1.aspx

Then you define your own long primitive somewhere globally, like

typedef __int64 LongInt;

You use LongInt at places in code where you want to make sure you have a 64 bit int. If you change compilers you just adjust the one global typedef.
    Last edited by nuzzle; May 18th, 2009 at 04:51 PM.