CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Regarding Loops

Regarding Loops

Hi everyone

I am writing a MMORPG server (just the server) and I am starting to focus on the "lightweight-ness" and effeciency of it.

I am going to give an extremely short version of my question;

I am going to use a loop to look through around 10-100 objects every minute and have an If/else statement in there. How much does a loop like this effect on my server ? It might be a silly question but I am debating on whether to create an object for every 100 instances (of clients) and then loop through 1-6 objects instead. Which one would work more effeciently ?

if this didn't make any sense I'll try to explain it differently. Imagine around 100 clients in a map. I am trying to find 8 of those clients that are related to each other (theyre in a group/party). Would it be wisest to loop through all 100 stand alone clients to find the 8 ones, or use around 10 Objects (in this case called groups/partys) and look throughout those instead ? (each group contains 8 clients). Remember, either way this check will happen every minute or so.

Thanks! I am curious about the responses !

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Regarding Loops

Quote Originally Posted by wutang001 View Post
    Thanks! I am curious about the responses !
    Me too. Why not test both approaches and report back?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Me too. Why not test both approaches and report back?
    I am not sure how I should test this lol.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Just code up it both ways and load test each (i.e. rather than testing only 10-1000 object per minute, try to max out the amount that can be processed in a minute). If there is a significant difference between the two approaches, go with the highest one; otherwise if they are about equal in performance, go with the one that is easier to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Just code up it both ways and load test each (i.e. rather than testing only 10-1000 object per minute, try to max out the amount that can be processed in a minute). If there is a significant difference between the two approaches, go with the highest one; otherwise if they are about equal in performance, go with the one that is easier to maintain.
    Thanks, but I ment that I don't know how to actually get benchmarks. Do I use Visual Studio? Also, what would be the most effecient way of making 1000 copies of an object without using a loop ? (So I can use it for testing)