CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: [win32] Send bitmap over socket

Quote Originally Posted by STLDude View Post
    Why would anybody help him with that attitude?
    This whole thread is for "help him with that attitude".
    But if you could help him a little better than it had been done before - just do it!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by DaigonoYouso View Post
    uhm, because I tested it?
    You did? Could you show the code? BTW, attaching zip with compilable project works much and much better than posting code snippets.

only if u'd read whole thread...
    I did that. Your code is messy, and a good deal of your explanations sound kinda gibberish, "I did draw it from BITMAPINFO struct" definitely does. And I can see you're still not able to do what you want. Isn't that because you keep neglecting advices you are given with? I would say, aggressively neglecting.

if I'd want to use MFC or ATL, I'd do it from the start
    Fine, it's up to you.

the closest function to release a bitmap is ReleaseDC, which I'm using in case u didn't notice
    No it's not. Releasing DC never was equivalent to unselecting bitmap and releasing DC.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    You did? Could you show the code? BTW, attaching zip with compilable project works much and much better than posting code snippets.

I did that. Your code is messy, and a good deal of your explanations sound kinda gibberish, "I did draw it from BITMAPINFO struct" definitely does. And I can see you're still not able to do what you want. Isn't that because you keep neglecting advices you are given with? I would say, aggressively neglecting.

Fine, it's up to you.

No it's not. Releasing DC never was equivalent to unselecting bitmap and releasing DC.
    unfortunatelly I did not find a function to release bitmap, but I'm deleting it, so that's kinda fine, also Ill upload project for you, I hope MEGA isnt prohibited here, and also I tried to modify the code in the client, that instead of sending the buffer containing my header (command), bitmapinfo and data it will instead retrieve it the same way as the server does and display it, well, it wasnt so surprising that it worked, but the very same code doesnt work on the server side, therefore we can assume that there's something wrong between sockets, also I guess it's maybe because it processes like 100 messages when I send only one (only happens with data, when I send normal text string everything's fine), anyway I tried to force program to stop accepting messages after I obtain first bitmap, however, it DID draw bitmap occasionaly (i dont know why, but it did) BUT it did draw only bottom 1/3 of the bitmap (the drawn part of bitmap was correctly drawn), I will upload projects soon and edit this reply

edit: here's the link, please ignore the PathSocket lib source, since it was the first attempt of lib creation, so is this project, in the client, in WM_TIMER u have commented code that I used to retrieve the data from "data" vector, instead of sending it, sending code is under IDC_SEND, I'm sure u'll be able to put it together and see, that it actually retrieves and draws bitmap fine to the client, also, when starting a server, just select a port, n. of clients and start to listen, after that just click to that listbox and select "view screen", it draws received bitmap directly to there, so if u send it before you open it, u wont see anything, also the program isnt finished at all, but Im sure u won't get lost

https://mega.co.nz/#!2ghXTDLA!YjBu0z...Nrw2onNK-bNO6Y
    Last edited by DaigonoYouso; January 6th, 2014 at 04:49 PM.

Im doing that, and I can even draw bitmap created with SetDIBits from that buffer on the client, but not on the server
    As Igor mentioned, you should zip up your project and post it here as an attachment (remove unnecessary files such as *.obj., *.pdb, *.pch, *.exe, etc., and only have source files, any resource files, and of course the *.vcproj file, i.e. all files that are required for the project to build on another machine).

This way, everyone has the full code, and can run it, change it, debug it, etc. I only identified generic C/C++ errors in terms of buffer overruns and other issues, and that is only with the code you posted. The actual handling of the bitmap data in terms of GDI function calls and such requires much more analysis, and that can only be achieved if the whole code is seen in its entirety and can the issue duplicated on another machine.

But to add, one thing you don't do is that you don't check for errors in any of the GDI calls. I'm sure that some are returning error codes to you, but your code doesn't check for them (the error code, and if necessary, calls to GetLastError() to get more information). Many times, a black image is produced after GDI has informed your app of a failure (which your code doesn't take heed of).

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McKenzie View Post
    As Igor mentioned, you should zip up your project and post it here as an attachment (remove unnecessary files such as *.obj., *.pdb, *.pch, *.exe, etc., and only have source files, any resource files, and of course the *.vcproj file, i.e. all files that are required for the project to build on another machine).

This way, everyone has the full code, and can run it, change it, debug it, etc. I only identified generic C/C++ errors in terms of buffer overruns and other issues, and that is only with the code you posted. The actual handling of the bitmap data in terms of GDI function calls and such requires much more analysis, and that can only be achieved if the whole code is seen in its entirety and can the issue duplicated on another machine.

But to add, one thing you don't do is that you don't check for errors in any of the GDI calls. I'm sure that some are returning error codes to you, but your code doesn't check for them (the error code, and if necessary, calls to GetLastError() to get more information). Many times, a black image is produced after GDI has informed your app of a failure (which your code doesn't take heed of).

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    I edited the previous reply with link to the project

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I edited the previous reply with link to the project
    Once again: if you'd like someone to open and test your project then you had to post it to this forum as attachment (in zip archive)
    Victor Nijegorodov

Last edited by DaigonoYouso; January 7th, 2014 at 04:12 AM.

well, now Im able to send, receive and draw the bitmap, but there are 2 more erros happening:

1. the bitmap on the server is weird, like, it changes colors and stuff, for example everythings pink, or yellow (but still shows actual bitmap, it just has weird colors) - looks fine on the client
    2. the server after 10 sec crashes because of "std::bad_alloc" or just freezes

client capture & send code:

Code:
    				RECT rc;
    				GetClientRect(GetDesktopWindow(), &rc);

HDC hDC = CreateCompatibleDC(NULL);
    				HBITMAP hBmp = CreateCompatibleBitmap(GetDC(NULL), 640, 360);

SelectObject(hDC, hBmp);
    				StretchBlt(hDC, 0, 0, 640, 360, GetDC(NULL), 0, 0, rc.right, rc.bottom, SRCCOPY);

//hBmp now contains screen image
    				//get bitmapinfo
    				BITMAPINFO bi;
    				memset(&bi, 0, sizeof(BITMAPINFO));
    				bi.bmiHeader.biSize = sizeof(BITMAPINFOHEADER);

int a = GetDIBits(hDC, hBmp, 0, 1, NULL, &bi, DIB_RGB_COLORS);
    				if(a == 0)
    					return 0;

char *buff = new char[256*256*256];
    				a = GetDIBits(hDC, hBmp, 0, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight, buff, &bi, DIB_RGB_COLORS);
    				if(a == 0)
    					return 0;

char command[] = "bitmap_size";

char *data = new char[256*256*256];
    				int i = 0;

memcpy(data+i, &bi, sizeof(BITMAPINFO));
    				i += sizeof(BITMAPINFO);

memcpy(data+i, buff, bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage);
    				i += bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage;

char msg[128];
    				wsprintf(msg, "%s %d", command, i);
    				send(mySock, msg, strlen(msg), 0);

send(mySock, data, i, 0);

delete[] buff;
    				delete[] data;
    				ReleaseDC(hWnd, hDC);
    				DeleteDC(hDC);
    				DeleteObject(hBmp);
    server receive & draw code:

Code:
    				int size;
    				if(bGotInfo && iBuffSize > 0)
    					size = iBuffSize;
    				else
    					size = 256;

vector<char> buff(size);
    				int re = recv((SOCKET)wParam, &buff[0], size, 0);
    				if(re <= 0)	return 0;

int len = strlen(command);

if(strncmp(&buff[0], command, len) == 0)
    				{
    					char tmp[32];
    					strncpy_s(tmp, &buff[0]+len+1, re-len-1);

stringstream ss;
    					ss << tmp;
    					ss >> iBuffSize;

bGotInfo = true;
    				}
    				else if(bGotInfo)
    				{
    					int recvsize = re;
    					int a;

while(recvsize < iBuffSize)
    					{
    						a = recv((SOCKET)wParam, &buff[0]+recvsize, size, 0);
    						if(a > 0)
    							recvsize += a;
    					}

BITMAPINFO bi;
    					int i = 0;

memcpy(&bi, &buff[0], sizeof(BITMAPINFO));
    					i += sizeof(BITMAPINFO);

int imgSize = bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage;
    					vector<BYTE> data(imgSize);
    					memcpy(&data[0], &buff[0+i], imgSize);

HDC hWindow = GetDC(hWnd);
    					HDC hDC = CreateCompatibleDC(hWindow);
    					HBITMAP hBmp = CreateCompatibleBitmap(hWindow, bi.bmiHeader.biWidth, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight);

SelectObject(hDC, hBmp);
    					SetDIBits(hDC, hBmp, 0, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight, &data[0], &bi, DIB_RGB_COLORS);
    					SetStretchBltMode(hWindow, HALFTONE);
    					StretchBlt(hWindow, 400, 0, 230, 200, hDC, 0, 0, bi.bmiHeader.biWidth, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight, SRCCOPY);

ReleaseDC(hWnd, hDC);
    					DeleteDC(hDC);
    					DeleteDC(hWindow);
    					DeleteObject(hBmp);
    					bGotInfo = false;
    Last edited by DaigonoYouso; January 9th, 2014 at 09:09 AM.

1. the bitmap on the server is weird, like, it changes colors and stuff, for example everythings pink, or yellow (but still shows actual bitmap, it just has weird colors) - looks fine on the client
    This is where you need to dump the bitmaps to files and inspect/compare them. I bet the RGB quad information is different on the server than on the client.
    2. the server after 10 sec crashes because of "std::bad_alloc" or just freezes
    You're using many unsafe constructs in your code using char arrays (assuming they are "large enough" to hold the information), and making "off-by-1" errors in various places. Eventually you should be using a string class (std::string) and forego the char arrays.
    Code:
    char buff[256];
        int a = recv(mySock, buff, 256, 0);
        buff[a] = '\0';
    What if "a" is 256? I asked this previously about another instance of this error in another part of your code.

Last, your code is inefficent if you're going to keep calling new[]/delete[] with the very same dimensions (256*256*256). Either do it once and save the allocated data, or use vectors (much safer) and size them at the beginning of the program.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Here is an example in your server code of unsafe string handling:
    Code:
    if(res == FD_ACCEPT || res == FD_CLOSE)
    {
         HWND hTmp = GetDlgItem(hWnd, IDC_CLIENTS);
         char tmp[32];
         wsprintf(tmp, "Connected Clients: %d/%d", ps->GetClients(), ServerInfo.sockets);
         SendMessage(hTmp, WM_SETTEXT, NULL, (LPARAM)tmp);
     }
    You set the array size to 32, and then you're on a knife's edge with this by attempting to place characters that by definition, can exceed a length of 32 (the "Connected Clients: " string, plus the two integers). Instead, use streams, as they are much safer.
    Code:
    std::ostringstream strm;  
    //...
    {
         strm << "Connected Clients: " << ps->GetClients() << "/" << ServerInfo.sockets;
         SendMessage(hTmp, WM_SETTEXT, NULL, (LPARAM)strm.str().c_str());
    }
    Now there is no chance of a memory overwrite. If you insist on using arrays, make them able to hold 10,000 or so characters. Then you're safe up to 10,000 characters, reducing the chance of a memory overwrite.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; January 9th, 2014 at 01:28 PM.

This is where you need to dump the bitmaps to files and inspect/compare them. I bet the RGB quad information is different on the server than on the client.
    You're using many unsafe constructs in your code using char arrays (assuming they are "large enough" to hold the information), and making "off-by-1" errors in various places. Eventually you should be using a string class (std::string) and forego the char arrays.
    Code:
    char buff[256];
        int a = recv(mySock, buff, 256, 0);
        buff[a] = '\0';
    What if "a" is 256? I asked this previously about another instance of this error in another part of your code.

Last, your code is inefficent if you're going to keep calling new[]/delete[] with the very same dimensions (256*256*256). Either do it once and save the allocated data, or use vectors (much safer) and size them at the beginning of the program.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Here is an example in your server code of unsafe string handling:
    Code:
    {
         char tmp[32];
         wsprintf(tmp, "Connected Clients: %d/%d", ps->GetClients(), ServerInfo.sockets);
         SendMessage(hTmp, WM_SETTEXT, NULL, (LPARAM)tmp);
     }
    You set the array size to 32, and then you're on a knife's edge with this by attempting to place characters that by definition, can exceed a length of 32 (the "Connected Clients: " string, plus the two integers). Instead, use streams, as they are much safer.
    Code:
    std::ostringstream strm;  
    //...
    {
         strm << "Connected Clients: " << ps->GetClients() << "/" << ServerInfo.sockets;
         SendMessage(hTmp, WM_SETTEXT, NULL, (LPARAM)strm.str().c_str());
    }
    Now there is no chance of a memory overwrite. If you insist on using arrays, make them able to hold 10,000 or so characters. Then you're safe up to 10,000 characters, reducing the chance of a memory overwrite.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    thanks! that \0 appending was changed on the server, but not on the client, anyway I know why it is causing bad_alloc; when I get bitmap_size message, it contains size of the array that's coming, e.g. bitmap_size 123456, however it is sometimes somehow (randomly, I even ran the server for like minute and nothing, on another try I got it after few seconds...) adding "(" at the end of the message - "bitmap_size 123456(" - that's why it is giving me bad alloc, I tried to find the "(" in the buffer and replace it with '\0', but without any success, im not sure why, I'd like to fix this first, before I go to try to fix the colors, any suggestions? also I made some changes to the code (imageBuff and imageData are global vectors), and yes, I tried to do receiving code with vector too - same result, bad colors & occasionaly "(" at the end

sending:

Code:
    				RECT rc;

SelectObject(hDC, hBmp);
    				StretchBlt(hDC, 0, 0, 640, 360, GetDC(NULL), 0, 0, rc.right, rc.bottom, SRCCOPY);

BITMAPINFO bi;

if(a == 0)
    					return 0;

if(imageBuff.size() != bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage)
    					imageBuff.resize(bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage);

a = GetDIBits(hDC, hBmp, 0, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight, &imageBuff[0], &bi, DIB_RGB_COLORS);
    				if(a == 0)
    					return 0;

int size = sizeof(BITMAPINFO) + bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage;
    				if(imageData.size() != size)
    					imageData.resize(size);

int i = 0;

memcpy(&imageData[0], &bi, sizeof(BITMAPINFO));
    				i += sizeof(BITMAPINFO);

memcpy(&imageData[0+i], &imageBuff[0], bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage);

char msg[128];
    				wsprintf(msg, "%s %d", command, i);
    				Log(hWnd, msg);
    				send(mySock, msg, strlen(msg), 0);

send(mySock, &imageData[0], i, 0);

ReleaseDC(hWnd, hDC);
    				DeleteDC(hDC);
    				DeleteObject(hBmp);
    receiving:

Code:
    				int size;
    				if(bGotInfo && iBuffSize > 0)
    					size = iBuffSize;
    				else
    					size = 256;

char *buff = new char[size];
    				int re = recv((SOCKET)wParam, buff, size, 0);
    				if(re <= 0)	return 0;
    				if(re != size) buff[re] = '\0';

char command[] = "bitmap_size ";

if(strncmp(buff, command, len) == 0)
    				{
    					char tmp[32];
    					strncpy_s(tmp, buff+len, re-len);

stringstream ss;
    					ss << tmp;
    					ss >> iBuffSize;

Log(hWnd, buff);

bGotInfo = true;
    				}
    				else if(bGotInfo)
    				{
    					int recvsize = re;
    					int a;

while(recvsize < iBuffSize)
    					{
    						a = recv((SOCKET)wParam, buff+recvsize, size, 0);
    						if(a > 0)
    							recvsize += a;
    					}

BITMAPINFO bi;

memcpy(&bi, buff, sizeof(BITMAPINFO));
    					int i = sizeof(BITMAPINFO);

char *imageData = new char[imgSize];

memcpy(imageData, buff+i, imgSize);

HBITMAP hBmp = CreateCompatibleBitmap(hWindow, bi.bmiHeader.biWidth, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight);

SelectObject(hDC, hBmp);
    					SetDIBits(hDC, hBmp, 0, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight, imageData, &bi, DIB_RGB_COLORS);
    					StretchBlt(hWindow, 400, 0, 230, 200, hDC, 0, 0, bi.bmiHeader.biWidth, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight, SRCCOPY);

ReleaseDC(hWnd, hDC);
    					DeleteDC(hDC);
    					DeleteDC(hWindow);
    					DeleteObject(hBmp);
    					delete[] imageData;
    					bGotInfo = false;
    				}
    				delete[] buff;
    			}
    Last edited by DaigonoYouso; January 9th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.

thanks! that \0 appending was changed on the server, but not on the client, anyway I know why it is causing bad_alloc; when I get bitmap_size message, it contains size of the array that's coming, e.g. bitmap_size 123456, however it is sometimes somehow (randomly, I even ran the server for like minute and nothing, on another try I got it after few seconds...) adding "(" at the end of the message - "bitmap_size 123456("
    The issue seems to be that you're using null-terminated strings, and at the same time, sending/receiving non-null terminated strings, and the two representations are conflicting with each other.

For a simple fix, terminate all of your strings with a NULL, and send the string plus the terminating NULL and expect the receiver to get a string plus terminating NULL. That means that the data, instead of being "abc123" will be "abc123\x0", i.e. 7 bytes, not 6 bytes. This also means that you eliminate code where you are appending a NULL on the received string as there will be no need to do so.

For the color issue, the problem is that your color information isn't correct. That's why you should take what you received and dump it to a file (don't just display it). Then inspect the bitmap with a hex editor and observe the bitmap information header plus the RGB data (plus palette if there is a palette). The bitmaps must compare exactly the same, -- you could even use a "diff" utility pointing out the differences in the file.

As to vector -- stick with using it. The vector protects you against everything (memory leaks, having to write buggy code to size a vector, etc.) -- except that you can still access memory outside the bounds of a vector. For example, if your vector can hold 10 elements, but you attempt to access the 11th element using operator [], you get no warning of this, no different than an array and your program may crash as a result.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie
    Last edited by Paul McKenzie; January 9th, 2014 at 10:05 PM.

okay, I'm now including null in the string before sending, this works fine, however Im still getting VS errors, here's output from client:

Code:
    Incoming Buffer size: 921645
    Total New: 103304
    Total New: 921664
    Received: 921664 - Image Size: 921600
    Total New: 921446
    Total New: 945910
    and here is sending code:

Code:
    				RECT rc;

SelectObject(hDC, hBmp);

BITMAPINFO bi;

if(a == 0)
    					return 0;

if(imageBuff.max_size() != bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage)
    					imageBuff.resize(bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage);

a = GetDIBits(hDC, hBmp, 0, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight, &imageBuff[0], &bi, DIB_RGB_COLORS);
    				if(a == 0)
    					return 0;

int size = sizeof(BITMAPINFO) + bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage + 1;
    				if(imageData.max_size() != size)
    					imageData.resize(size);

memcpy(&imageData[0], &bi, sizeof(BITMAPINFO));

memcpy(&imageData[0+i], &imageBuff[0], bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage);

memcpy(&imageData[0+i], "\x0", 1);
    				i++;

char msg[128];
    				wsprintf(msg, "%s %d\x0", command, i);

if(i != size)
    				{
    					char tmp[32];
    					wsprintf(tmp, "ERR");
    					Log(hWnd, tmp);
    				}

send(mySock, msg, strlen(msg)+1, 0);
    				send(mySock, &imageData[0], i, 0);

ReleaseDC(hWnd, hDC);
    				DeleteDC(hDC);
    				DeleteObject(hBmp);
    			}
    and here's receiving code:

Code:
    				int size;
    				if(bGotInfo)
    					size = iBuffSize;
    				else
    					size = 256;

vector<char> buff(size);
    				int re = recv((SOCKET)wParam, &buff[0], size, 0);

if(re == SOCKET_ERROR)	return 0;

char command[] = "bitmap_size ";

if(strncmp(&buff[0], command, len) == 0)
    				{
    					char tmp[128];
    					strncpy_s(tmp, &buff[0]+len, re-len);

stringstream ss;
    					ss << tmp;
    					ss >> iBuffSize;

wsprintf(tmp, "Incoming Buffer size: %d\x0", iBuffSize);
    					send(ps.GetSocket(0), tmp, strlen(tmp)+1, 0);

bGotInfo = true;
    				}
    				else if(bGotInfo)
    				{
    					int recvsize = re;
    					int a;
    					vector<char> tmp(size);

char tmp2[128];

while(recvsize < size)
    					{
    						a = recv((SOCKET)wParam, &tmp[0], size, 0);
    						if(a != SOCKET_ERROR)
    						{
    							wsprintf(tmp2, "Total New: %d\x0", a + recvsize);
    							send(ps.GetSocket(0), tmp2, strlen(tmp2)+1, 0);

memcpy(&buff[0]+recvsize, &tmp[0], a);
    							recvsize += a;
    						}
    					}

BITMAPINFO bi;

memcpy(&bi, &buff[0], sizeof(BITMAPINFO));

wsprintf(tmp2, "Received: %d - Image Size: %d\x0", recvsize, bi.bmiHeader.biSizeImage);
    					send(ps.GetSocket(0), tmp2, strlen(tmp2)+1, 0);

vector<char> imageData(imgSize);

memcpy(&imageData[0], &buff[0]+i, imgSize);

SelectObject(hDC, hBmp);
    					SetDIBits(hDC, hBmp, 0, bi.bmiHeader.biHeight, &imageData[0], &bi, DIB_RGB_COLORS);

ReleaseDC(hWnd, hDC);
    					DeleteDC(hDC);
    					DeleteDC(hWindow);
    					DeleteObject(hBmp);
    					bGotInfo = false;
    				}
    			}
    as you can see, it is receiving more data than it is supposed to (it is supposed to get 921645, but gets 921664 (19 more), this wont crash the program, but when it gets 945910, then it crashes, also the output on the client works only if I "pause" the server with those debug points (noticed this when I was looking for what is causing bad_alloc), otherwise the output is something like this

Code:
    Total New: 607004
    l New: 836652
    w: 885260
    Total New: 49047

al New: 156679
    ew: 230515
    otal New: 379811
     New: 428419
    : 477027

al New: 654099
    ew: 706179
    otal New: 862419
     New: 911027
    Total New: 921427
    any suggestions on how to fix that receiving of data? this is probably the same on the server side - when I send messages fast, they get mixed, or something, when I add a little sleep after all send(), the output on the client is normal, but still crashes, since it receives more data somehow, output with sleeps after send() commands

Code:
    Total New: 27936
    Total New: 52240
    Total New: 101844
    Total New: 176304
    Total New: 225944
    Total New: 300404
    Total New: 350044
    Total New: 424504
    Total New: 474144
    Total New: 548604
    Total New: 623064
    Total New: 672704
    Total New: 747164
    Total New: 796804
    Total New: 893164
    Total New: 943208
    I got no idea what can be wrong :X

Nothing related to the code discussed here. Just the same functionality implemented my way. No third party libraries, no STL, just a pure Win32 API.

sending_bitmaps_over_tcp.zip
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    Nothing related to the code discussed here. Just the same functionality implemented my way. No third party libraries, no STL, just a pure Win32 API.

sending_bitmaps_over_tcp.zip
    thanks for the code and for the effort, I've been kinda busy last 2 weeks with school projects and will continue to work on this project soon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123