CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

C++ and Objective C question

Hello, I am very new at this. But was hoping you guys might be able to answer a few questions.

1. I have a mac and a PC. Since I have no experience with Objective C, I am wondering if one is better than the other. (By better I mean less restrictions.)

2. I am aiming to make a software that is compatible with both mac and PC. Can you make a software compatible for PC in Objective C? or visa versa with C++?

3. Also, is visual C++ pretty much the standard for programing?

Thanks guys, and nice to meet ya!

Re: C++ and Objective C question

Quote Originally Posted by Crosz View Post
    1. I have a mac and a PC. Since I have no experience with Objective C, I am wondering if one is better than the other. (By better I mean less restrictions.)
    Now you have to define "restrictions"

2. I am aiming to make a software that is compatible with both mac and PC. Can you make a software compatible for PC in Objective C? or visa versa with C++?
    As far as I know, Obj-C is applicable for Mac only. C++ code can be compiled for Mac (as internally GCC is there), though only console utilities could be done this way. On the other hand, Qt framework is C++ based but is able to compile into Mac native app.

In this forum, yes, definitely.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Quote Originally Posted by Crosz View Post
    Yes, C++ is definitely faster than Objective-C. Objective-C is what has been taken out of old C together with C++ and SmallTalk's OOP constructs and styles.
    I don't understand what "the standard for programming" exactly means but if I am supposed to create a scientific application, for example, C++'s neat computational libraries might attract me more; choices for other languages I personally think depends on their ease of use, projects' particular purposes as well as customers'specific requirements.

2. I am aiming to make a software that is compatible with both mac and PC.
    Maybe QT is something you are looking for.