CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Using an object property in an SQL query

Can I use an object property (such as the Text value from a comboBox) in an SQL query so that the query results will be dependent upon the user's choice of said comboBox?

I have a makeComboBox with 5 car manufacturers. When the user chooses one, it enables modelComboBox, which is data bound to a table from a database. The table is called Models, and consists of 30 random car models, with a text field called Make that specifies which of the 5 manufacturers it came from. I want to populate modelComboBox with models from the Models table, but only those whose Make is the same as the one chosen in makeComboBox. I added a query called FillByMake with this SQL SELECT statement using the TableAdapter Query Configuration Wizard:

Code:
    SELECT Model FROM Models WHERE Make = makeComboBox.Text
    I added these lines to the makeComboBox_SelectedItemChanged event code:

Code:
    modelComboBox.Enabled = true;
    models.TableAdapter.FillByMake(carDataSet.Models);
    It compiles but before it loads the form it gives me an unhandled OleDbException: "No value given for one or more required parameters." Can anyone help me by telling what I'm doing wrong and how to do it correctly?

Re: Using an object property in an SQL query

Double-click the COMBO box to create the required code with the properties
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

Quote Originally Posted by dglienna View Post
    Double-click the COMBO box to create the required code with the properties
    Forgive me, but when you say double-click the comboBox, do you mean the makeComboBox which the user chooses the make of the car, or the modelComboBox which will be popluated from the database? Either way, double-clicking creates ComboBox_SelectedIndexChanged() events which I already have for each. I guess the problem is what code to put inside of it.

You can use an object property, like .Text, in a query. One way to do this is by using a parameter object. The code below is a method tailored after your question, so you may be able to plug it right into your own code. Just pass the connection object and the make of the car as a string (from makeComboBox.Text). This code should be invoked from the selection item changed event of the makeComboBox.

The comments explain what the code does at each step.

Code:
            private void LoadComboBox(OleDbConnection con, string makeOfCar)
            {
                    // open connection - you will want to add a try/catch/finally block
                    con.Open();

// set the sql string – the ? will be filled in by the parameter
                    string sqlString = "SELECT Model FROM Models WHERE Make = ?";

// create the command object with the sql string and the passed OleDbConnection
                    OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand(sqlString, con);

// add a parameter for the make - will replace the ? in the sql string
                    cmd.Parameters.Add(new OleDbParameter("Make", makeOfCar));

// execute the query and convert the reader into a datatable
                    OleDbDataReader dr = cmd.ExecuteReader();
                    DataTable dt = new DataTable();
                    dt.Load(dr);

// bind the datatable to the Model combobox
                    modelComboBox.DataSource = dt;
                    modelComboBox.DisplayMember = "Model";
                    modelComboBox.ValueMember = "Model";

// close the connection
                    con.Close();
                }
            }