CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Red face dll for VC++ 6 client

I am .Net developer and new to C++ world. I am suppose to develop a dll which will be used by Client written in VC++ 6.0

I am completely confused about which way to go.
    What type of project ?
    What IDE to use [VS.net or VC++ 6 IDE] ?

Can you guys please guide me on this? Any pointers will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Niel

Re: dll for VC++ 6 client

Quote Originally Posted by nilcontact View Post
    I am .Net developer and new to C++ world. I am suppose to develop a dll which will be used by Client written in VC++ 6.0

I am completely confused about which way to go.
    What type of project ?
    What IDE to use [VS.net or VC++ 6 IDE] ?

Can you guys please guide me on this? Any pointers will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Niel
    First question...Why are you using VC++ 6.0. It is obsolete (dead for over 4 years), and NOT compliant with the C++ standard [this means that the program you write will almost certainly NOT be a valid C++ program].
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

I am suppose to develop dll for one of my client . This client has application in VC++ 6 . I am free to use any technology as far as it works with VC++ 6.0 application on windows xp pro .

Quote Originally Posted by nilcontact View Post
    I am suppose to develop dll for one of my client . This client has application in VC++ 6 . I am free to use any technology as far as it works with VC++ 6.0 application on windows xp pro .
    DLL's are written so that they can be used by any language capable of calling exported DLL functions, and for the most part, any Windows OS (32-bit DLL's for 32-bit Windows, 64-bit DLL's for 64-bit OS).

Look at how the Windows system DLL's work -- Visual C++ 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 and beyond, and any old version of Visual C++ before 6.0 calls the system DLL functions quite fine. Not only that, VB, Delphi, C#, and any other language calls the Windows system DLL's quite fine also.

What problems are you having writing the DLL? All you need to do is use a 'C' interface when exporting the functions.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie