CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Boyer-Moore string search help

Ok, I do not like doing this as it is for school and not for my work, but I am really stuck here at the moment.

My prof has me doing an assignment in which I make use of two different search algorithms. The Brute-force and the Boyer-Moore. I am searching a text file for a particular string. I have the brute-force code done and it works beautifully. I am nearly complete my Boyer-Moore code but I am stuck on the very last part. That being where to move the "cursor" (for lack of a better term) to where it needs to search from next.

Here is how my program works:

I import the text file contents into a single dimension char array. I then load the string to search for into a different single dimension char array.

I then call the search algorithm passing in both the text file array and the search array. Here is the code I have so far:

Code:
    Private Function BoyerMooreSearch(ByVal arrFileContents() As Char, ByVal arrSearchFor() As Char) As Integer
            Dim intFileSize As Long = arrFileContents.Length
            Dim intSearchSize As Int16 = arrSearchFor.Length

'initialize and set the search counters (not comparison counters) to be used in the boyer method
            'Boyer-Moore searches from the right to left
            Dim intFileCount = intSearchSize - 1
            Dim intSearchCount = intSearchSize - 1

Do
                If arrSearchFor(intSearchCount) = arrFileContents(intFileCount) Then
                    If intSearchCount = 0 Then   'a match was found
                        Return intFileCount
                    Else                        'keep searching by decrementing the counters (this moves search to the left
                        intFileCount -= 1
                        intSearchCount -= 1
                    End If
                End If

'mismatch occurred.  determine the new location to start

'HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP
                '***********************************************************
                intFileCount = intFileCount + intFileSize - Math.Min(intSearchCount,1+
                '***********************************************************

Loop While intFileCount <= intFileSize - 1
    I need to redefine the intFileCount at the end of the loop to determine where I start my search again in the array. I have an algorithm that I am trying to code:

intFileCount =intFileCount + intFileSize – Min (intSearchCount, 1 + Last (arrFileContents (intFileCount), arrSeardhFor))

the last part of this line is where I am stuck. Last(arrFileContents(intFileCount),arrSearchFor) is supposed to return the index location my search was on (arrSearchFor is the array containing the string I am looking for).

Example. If the array was searching at arrFileContents(44) and it got 3 positions in it should return 41 (remember a Boyer-Moore actually searches from the left of a starting point)

I hope someone can help me with this. The assignment is due soon. I know I shouldn't have left it so long, but I hate asking for help directly like this for school. Thanks in advance to all.

Re: Boyer-Moore string search help

What are the actual values of each of the variables when that line is executed???

This is just a simple case of needing to use the debugger.....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

The Wikipedia article on Boyer-Moore shows workable C-style code: "Boyer–Moore string search algorithm" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyer_moore

In addition, there is a fine collection of string searching algorithms, including Boyer-Moore, and including explanations, at this site: "Exact String Matching Algorithms" at http://www-igm.univ-mlv.fr/~lecroq/string/index.html

The site explains each algorithm, gives pseudo-code, and provides java animations of examples of the algorithm's progress.

You should be able to figure out a good implementation of your "Last()" function from these resources.

Mike

Thanks all,

I actually came up with this:

Code:
        Private Function Last(ByVal charCurrentValue As Char, ByVal arrSearchArray() As Char) As Integer
            Dim intSrchSize As Integer = arrSearchArray.Length
            Dim i As Integer = intSrchSize - 1

While i <> 0
                If charCurrentValue = arrSearchArray(i) Then
                    Return i
                End If
                'Exit Function
                i -= 1
            End While

Return -1
        End Function

Hey, can you post your final code?

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeD View Post
    Thanks all,

I actually came up with this:

Code:
        Private Function Last(ByVal charCurrentValue As Char, ByVal arrSearchArray() As Char) As Integer
            Dim intSrchSize As Integer = arrSearchArray.Length
            Dim i As Integer = intSrchSize - 1

While i <> 0
                If charCurrentValue = arrSearchArray(i) Then
                    Return i
                End If
                'Exit Function
                i -= 1
            End While

Return -1
        End Function