CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Programming experience... where to start?

Well, long "story" short: Just started my 2nd year doing a degree in Comp. Science from home, and I thought I'd check out some jobs, to find out what exactly will be expected of me. Everywhere I looked, they want experience, some not even mentioning degrees and what-not.

So, I was wondering, where does one start getting experience then? If I were to just create a few random (preferably useful) applications in these next 2 years I have left, before I have to start facing the real world, would that at least count as some experience?

Re: Programming experience... where to start?

you could try getting a low paid co-op job. companies usually come to universities to recruit...ask around

You can built a portfolio on sites such as www.elance.com and www.rentacoder.com
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

firstly check the jobs market for graduate and trainee positions. (helps to filter the search a little).

secondly find ideas for small programs / libraries you think might actually have a use. write them and publish on your own website and stick the url down on your CV (keep the url simple).

Also dont be shy to apply for jobs that ask for experience. You're not likely to get the lead developer positions but its allways worth a shot.

I knew a guy who couldn't code a for-loop in java (his degree's main language) but got a 2-2 at uni, so anything you can do to demonstrate you can actually write a program (and not just theorise about it) is a big bonus when searching for a job.
    Signature
    Please use: [ code ][/ code ] tags and reasonably correct tabbing. They really help us read your code
    End Signature

first take a look at this site:
    http://www.monster.com/

i also have some suggestion to build some experience without acctually working in a company.

1- be active in popular programming forums like CodeGuru and help other people. in you can solve the problem of a the people in web somewhat you can do it in a company

2- start a weblog on your own and in a regular basis post on it: post your codes, idea, algorithms, techical information

3- build a site of your own and upload your tiny usefull application you have coded to it and give a comprehensive technical information of your apps (lines of code; technics you used; inovations)

post your resume to as many sites you can.

bear in mind that every expert start from one poit and the very begning steps without being paid 120,000$ per year but with passion and hard working soon they will be in the place you should be.

don't expect that in your first job they pay you much; be humble and start from one point then you will go to the next steps.
    even if you are a genious programmer you lack experience so accept every offers that can add experience to you.
    you may not be paid much but maybe have opportunity to work with seasoned and expert people and learn from them.
    Please rate my post if it was helpful for you.
    Java, C#, C++, PHP, ASP.NET
    SQL Server, MySQL
    DirectX
    MATH
    Touraj Ebrahimi
    [toraj_e] [at] [yahoo] [dot] [com]

Let me comment on you points ..
    Quote Originally Posted by toraj58 View Post
    i also have some suggestion to build some experience without acctually working in a company.

1- be active in popular programming forums like CodeGuru and help other people. in you can solve the problem of a the people in web somewhat you can do it in a company
    100% correct, showing the ability to solve problems with limited info, and only code snips, is one way to show your problem solving abilities.

2- start a weblog on your own and in a regular basis post on it: post your codes, idea, algorithms, techical information
    I dont quite agree here. Weblog's are a dime a dozen, and often hold very little useful information. Write full articles on specific subjects that you know your good with, and submit them to CodeGuru directly. After review your article will go up in several Developer sites (Jupitermedia linked sites), and the cherry on top, Visual Studio's help references all articles listed on CodeGuru..

For an example, do a VS Help Search on "Voice Recognition" and select the CodeZone results,. the top 10 returned results are from articles here on CodeGuru.

3- build a site of your own and upload your tiny usefull application you have coded to it and give a comprehensive technical information of your apps (lines of code; technics you used; inovations)
    Again Here I disagree, Rather post it on a Site Like Source Forge, or even here on CG, and invite others to use it and test it for you. building a discussion around your project will also help you to find where you may lack or need assistance.

post your resume to as many sites you can.
    And here i 100% agreed.. It costs you nothing to send your resume to every site you can find, and with luck someone will pick you out and offer you a good starting position.

Gremmy.
    Articles VB6 : Break the 2G limit - Animation 1, 2 VB.NET : 2005/8 : Moving Images , Animation 1 , 2 , 3 , User Controls
    WPF Articles : 3D Animation 1 , 2 , 3
    Code snips: VB6 Hex Edit, IP Chat, Copy Prot., Crop, Zoom : .NET IP Chat (V4), Adv. ContextMenus, click Hotspot, Scroll Controls
    Find me in ASP.NET., VB6., VB.NET , Writing Articles, My Genealogy, Forum
    All VS.NET: posts refer to VS.NET 2008 (Pro) unless otherwise stated.

Agreeing with Gremmy's assesment.

But still, NOTHING beats having someone who has PAID FOR your work as a reference, hence I will repeat the suggestion of checking out the online job posting sites [two examples previously given], start small and build up.....
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009,2010
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

yes, GremlinSA suggestions are better.
    Please rate my post if it was helpful for you.
    Java, C#, C++, PHP, ASP.NET
    SQL Server, MySQL
    DirectX
    MATH
    Touraj Ebrahimi
    [toraj_e] [at] [yahoo] [dot] [com]

First off, thanks for the replies here.

Also, thank you to CPUWizard and toraj58, I'll definitely check the sites.

I also spoke with my grandfather today. He suggested I check out IBM and I found a whole lot of jobs for graduates, but mostly in the US (Nothing in or close to my country). My grandfather is also a programmer, so maybe if I'm lucky he can get me in somewhere. But, of coarse, he also mentioned that experience is pretty important, even if you have contacts.

Today I actually managed to find 2 jobs only requiring a degree. A friend of mine also mentioned seeing a add for a job as a Delphi programmer for some very small company a few months ago. I wish he had told me then. It was even local (I live in a pretty small town).

As for useful applications, I'm hoping I can create something useful in this year. I feel useless not putting my knowledge to, well, use. I just hope my subjects this year will be a bit more practical than just theory all the time.

I was also thinking I should start searching for some simple source codes to get an idea of exactly how things can/are done (Should have done that ages ago). One of my problems is that I now know some/more-than-some C++ but I don't really now how to apply it. I don't want to end up like that java-for-loop guy couling mentioned. =|

I registered at SourceForge a few days ago, and since I've registered here, I see no reason to let the registration go to waste. I'll be sure to browse around on the forums. Maybe I'm lucky and I know more than I thought? I think I'll still create my own little site anyway. But I'm gonna try hard and put some effort into gaining some experience and creating something worthy of posting on the net.

Anyway, it seems then that, in conclusion, every little bit of (useful) coding I do will still count as experience, but it'd still be better if I get the experience by working for an employer. (Right?)

Thanks again to all for the tips and sites!

Wh y don 't yo u sta rt ou t fir st by re adi ng m y sig nat ure ?

I deliberately left all spaces in the above advice for those who love jobs as mind reading think.
    You see the blending style is skillful, and you still read what I'd like to tell.