CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Re: New Forum Update

So now we have a "Welcome Ad", and basically I could live with that. But when I start a day's CodeGuru activity by clicking the link in a thread update notification mail that should take me to the first new post in that thread, instead I get to the page with the ad, and when I then click "Skip this ad" at the upper right, I'm getting dropped at the forum root page, not the respective thread. But most annoying: At this point the thread that the link in the mail should initially have taken me to will be marked "read" and I need to find my way to the first unread post myself.

The ad apparently is only shown "the next day", where "next day" seems not to be determined by lifetime of the IE session or crossing midnight local time; perhaps it's the Windows session that counts or simply a certain timespan of inactivity. But that may actually not be relevant for the issue at all.
    Last edited by Eri523; June 28th, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
    I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

Re: New Forum Update

The Welcome Ads are not new.

You should, however, end up where you were headed after the ad. I'll report this to the developers.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

In the interests of keeping 'new update' feedback in the same thread:-

Copied from the thread "Am I the only one..."

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Is it just me or has the advanced forum search feature stopped working? I'm pretty certain I've used terms like console or stdout in previous posts - but whenever I try to search for those words (in threads started by me) I get zero hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    Looks llike search file doesn't go before the migration. I'll ask that the database be rebuilt.
    That seems plausible Brad. If I repeat my original search (today) it now lists my post from yesterday - but it doesn't yet list ny earlier posts.

BUT... this only works if I carry out an advanced search from a main forum page. If I use the "advanced thread search" feature (from within an actual thread) I still get no listings. A "simple" thread search (for the same text) does list my post though.

Hope that all makes sense...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Also (in case no-one's mentioned it yet) "Post Quick Reply" seems to work okay for me - but when I use the more advanced reply page, I've had two occurrences where pressing "Submit" appeared to do nothing. When I tried pressing it again I got a message saying that this post had already been submitted.

So basically, I wasn't being redirected to my new post, after submitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by monarch_dodra View Post
    Thanks!

Whilst I'm on the subject, is there any way to see "All Reputation Received"? All I can see is the "Latest Reputation Received".

I think I've been looking for this for more than a year!
    Find the latest post that has a rating, and RATE IT YOURSELF. You'll see the total points.

Also, sorted MEMBER LIST http://forums.codeguru.com/memberlist.php
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

We changed the icons in the bars to white so you can now see them. Let me know if you think this is better or worse. You can see them know, so I think it is better, but wanted to hear what you guys say.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

We changed the icons in the bars to white so you can now see them. Let me know if you think this is better or worse. You can see them know, so I think it is better, but wanted to hear what you guys say.

Brad!
    Well, at least they are now very good visible!

Brad!
    How about some other problems like:

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    How to "Go Advance" with "Reply With Quote" in one step?
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Brad!
    Could you fix the wrong link color for thread starter name to be the same as all the other links?Attachment 29969
    Victor Nijegorodov

Re: the wasted vertical space - maybe it's my memory playing tricks but I'm sure the old forum had some way of turning off those adverts on the RHS, thereby allowing posts to expand to te full available width (which of course, reduced their height, meaning you could read more posts without needing to scroll). Can that still be done?

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Re: the wasted vertical space - maybe it's my memory playing tricks but I'm sure the old forum had some way of turning off those adverts on the RHS, thereby allowing posts to expand to te full available width (which of course, reduced their height, meaning you could read more posts without needing to scroll). Can that still be done?
    There is a text link after the bigger square ad that lets you turn off the RHS column. You have to do this each time you display a page; however, if you end up on a page that needs the width due to code or something,this lets you get the space back.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Victor -

The link color for the thread starter doesn't seem very critical. We may get back to that, but right now, it is a low prioirty.

The 'Go Advanced' I'll have to see about looking into. This is underlying forum functionality, so might not be easy to fix without a hack.
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Actually I want to "Go Advance" with most posts.
    An option to default to the advanced editor would be nice.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman

Brad!
    ok for the enhanced contrast (*), but why do you insist with the brownish-green color ? is it to give a different/recognizable look in order to distinguish or avoid confusion with other vbulletin-based forums ( yes, they all more or less resemble each other ) ? if yes, I understand that ... but isn't there any better color ?

(*) BTW, just a very minor issue, the white icons in the bars become dark-blue on mouse over, which seems a bit inconsistent as it loses contrast instead of gaining it ...
    Last edited by superbonzo; July 2nd, 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW@Wessex View Post
    Actually I want to "Go Advance" with most posts.
    An option to default to the advanced editor would be nice.
    In previous versions you coudl set the version fo the editor you wanted to default to. I don't see such a setting now. I'm not sure why vBulletin removed it. I've noted this request.

In previous versions you coudl set the version fo the editor you wanted to default to. I don't see such a setting now. I'm not sure why vBulletin removed it. I've noted this request.
    Isn't it the one you find when you click on Settings->General Settings ( on the left hand column under My Account ) ->Message Editor Interface ( under Miscellaneous Options ) , or am I thinkig of something else ?

Ah. Hannes, you are correct. I looked too quickly and missed the setting. You can choose the default editor setting in the settings --> General options.

In regard to the one step for going Advanced - I'm not seeing a way to do that without a hack..... However, you can click on the reply button twice and get to your default editor. The first time you click the reply button it does the inline quick reply. If you then click that same button a second time, it takes you to your default editor. While this is still two clicks, you don't have to scroll to a different button.

Brad!
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast